Middle Ear Barotrauma, was it delayed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So - I resumed diving this past weekend taking my open water certification, but the final day got scrubbed due to poor conditions.. Went to a max of 25 feet depth and equalized just fine with no ear problems, the only other bit of trivia is I have two associates in my area/community both whom suffered hearing loss/fluid build-up and balance issues neither of whom have ever been diving.

I had a second audiogram run Sept 5th and it is below. As of today I have mild/infrequent ringing in my left ear that seems to be becoming less frequent. The audio gram shows pretty normal hearing with a loss in my left in upper frequencies which is most likely a pre-existing condition. I have turned with my right ear into conversations for some time of my own observation and that of others.

2014-10-20 110619.jpg

2014-10-20 110619_2.jpg

In conclusion .. Equalization good; not sure hearing issues were dive related.

So I just did dive #9 and got the start of squeeze. I'd adjusted my weight (dropped 6 lbs) to try and burn less air. I was on the surface dumping air and dumping and wasn't sinking...when all of a sudden I dropped like a rock. The pain in my ears was intense and I swan hard for the surface and equalized.

I definitely didn't blow or squeeze my eardrums based on that experience.

Just in case I am prone to ear infections I use a rinse bulb with a vinegar solution in it at the end of the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom