Miflex High Pressure Hose Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From my LDS yesterday..........

"......These hoses have been voluntarily recalled by the US representative of the Italian manufacturer of these hoses.
Please note that this hose may also have been attached to a tank fill whip used for equalizing pressure or trans-filling between cylinders.

You need to stop using these hoses immediately and review the full recall information which can be found at : XS Scuba - Miflex Safety Recall

A new, larger diameter, stronger design will replace these hoses and they are in transit from Italy and should be available for shipment out to everyone who completed the recall process as described in the link above sometime next week."

Ahh, so it is another party is actually manufacturing the hoses. Makes me seriously wonder if there should be recalls issued by other scuba companies that use this manufacturer. I would like to hear from HOG, Sea Elite, and others that sell similiar hoses whether or not the use the same manufacturer.

Last edited:
We know that there is more than 1 company selling these type hoses. I wonder if any other companies are buying hoses from the same manufacturer (i.e. like many dive computers, glass and brass SPGs, etc.) that XS scuba uses or if XS makes there own? If XS scuba gets there hoses from a manufacturer (OEM) and doesn't make them themselves, then there may be the need for recalls from other companies that sell this particular hose.

That's exactly what I'm wondering/worried about. Dive Gear Express sells the Miflex brand as well as the "no-name" brand HERE. I opted for the no-name brand. I either got lucky or I could be in for a big surprise. Fortunately the reg set that has the high pressure braided hose is my backup set.

EDIT: Just saw this note on their no-name brand page:

As of April 2012 our U.S. supplier of double braided hose has had a phenomenally low failure rate for the tens of thousands of these hoses they have delivered over the last few years. Dive Gear Express believes our double braided hose is currently the most reliable scuba hose on the market.

Makes me feel a bit better, but dang I thought these hoses were better than the non-braided ones. :mad:

Apologies for being somewhat confused- I broke my hand this weekend and am feeling a little spacey- but is it ALL Miflex HPs or just the ones matching what's in their video? I've read the thread and their website but cannot get clear on this.

It is all of the Miflex HP Hoses, with or without the rubber "bumper" that was supposed to address the problem.

I recieved shipping confirmation that my hoses were received in Santa Clara. Let's see how long it takes before I get the replacemnts. Until then, I've got my rubbers back on my regs.

I shipped mine from OH to CA on Friday 4/20/12 and just got a call my new one is on the way today :)

I had over 400 dives on the 24" one I sent in and it did have the strain reliefs. Never had even a hiccup and had several fellow dive travelers who've had the same experience. I think the failure rate was super small but applaud XS Scuba for doing this.

Also, in 42 years diving I've seen LOTS of rubber HP and LP hoses burst. Many at the fittings UNDER strain reliefs that never allowed water to drain or with areas for water to rinse through.

Just my observations.......

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

I shipped mine from OH to CA on Friday 4/20/12 and just got a call my new one is on the way today :)

I had over 400 dives on the 24" one I sent in and it did have the strain reliefs. Never had even a hiccup and had several fellow dive travelers who've had the same experience. I think the failure rate was super small but applaud XS Scuba for doing this.

Also, in 42 years diving I've seen LOTS of rubber HP and LP hoses burst. Many at the fittings UNDER strain reliefs that never allowed water to drain or with areas for water to rinse through.

Just my observations.......

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Can you post a picture of the new HP when you will receive it and check if the gauge swiwel under pressure , curious to see it, before sending mine. Thanks

Last edited:
It appears they are turning around the replacements very quickly. They received my old hoses on Tuesday and sent me my shipping information today. I'll have the new hoses early next week.

inka, will do when I get mine.

I was told the new ones are 8mm (versus 6mm) and will have a gray braided covering so you can immediately tell it's a newer style.

As I said before, I've seen plenty of rubber HP and LP hoses go.........

Nothing is 100%............

YMMV

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

OK. I realize I am getting to this discussion a little late. Here is some information that I feel confident in sharing:

1) If any hose ruptures, they don't rupture in slow motion. A hose doesn't start leaking slowly for "5 minutes". It just blows. Sorry about that.
It is impossible to tell by visual inspection (and maybe ultrasonic inspection) if your hose is "about to blow".
2) USCPSC document lists failures of 189 on 17000 hoses. That is 1% (a little bit more). That is actually an abnormally high failure rate. Thus, the recall.
3) I am not advocating poor diving practice here; but, if any HP hose ruptures, the HP port on your first stage is sized such that your tank will not empty out in 60 seconds.
Assuming that you are not 3000 ft into a cave or otherwise restricted from promptly but casually aborting your dive, you will be fine. Just don't keep diving with it. Duh.
I once watched a DM in Cozumel experience a SPG blow out at the beginning of the dive. The DM completed a 50 minute dive with the group with all kinds
of bubbling action spewing from the broken SPG.
4) MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: The USCPSC official release document states that this recall involves:
Miflex HP Hoses -- Distributor: XS Scuba
They were also sold as (or part of) Miflex Deluxe Cylinder Equalizer
Miflex Two Gauge Console
Miflex Rebreather Kits
These hoses were manufactured by "Miflex 2" of Villasanta, Italy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom