Miflex High Pressure Hose Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There have been reports on the XS Scuba forum for many months now, with no response from XS Scuba. Then a few weeks ago we're told not to dive with these hoses as they're preparing a "voluntary" recall. It seems bizarre and irresponsible to me.

There have been reports on the XS Scuba forum for many months now, with no response from XS Scuba. Then a few weeks ago we're told not to dive with these hoses as they're preparing a "voluntary" recall. It seems bizarre and irresponsible to me.

But the rest of the world, can still use them without any problem... according to Miflex in this document attached.

Attachments

• Miflex.pdf
    43.7 KB · Views: 464
Here is what a ruptured high pressure Miflex hose looks like. My Miflex hose blew up on me in between dives during a surface interval. When it blew, it started out with a hissing noise, like a bad o-ring. Then it ruptured. The hose ruptured in two different places simultaneously. When the Miflex ruptured, it sounded like a gun shot.

Thanks very much for the pictures! I was aboard a dive boat (Ocean Frontiers) in Grand Cayman this past December, and another person aboard experienced a nearly identical Miflex HP failure upon initial pressurization of their rig while still at the dock. Their hose also failed in two places simultaneously (one near the first stage connector, one in the middle of the hose), with a sharp crack like a .22 going off. The owner indicated that the hose was essentially new, with less than 10 dives.

Your hose looks pretty much identical to how I remember theirs looking, post failure, with the same fraying in both spots. That is very, very curious, and pretty remarkable...

Last edited:
"XS Scuba has received reports of 189 hose failures"

189/17,000=0.01% not 1% - although I know there were more failures that weren't reported

I don't see what difference seperating would make

Looks like you are using Chinese math.

Let's make it 190 failures. I never bothered to report the second failure I experienced...

Both out of the water, one on a full tank but with the valve off sitting in the car after a pressure check, one at the end of a dive when the tanks were low compared to the start, which I found odd.

We know that there is more than 1 company selling these type hoses. I wonder if any other companies are buying hoses from the same manufacturer (i.e. like many dive computers, glass and brass SPGs, etc.) that XS scuba uses or if XS makes there own? If XS scuba gets there hoses from a manufacturer (OEM) and doesn't make them themselves, then there may be the need for recalls from other companies that sell this particular hose.

I really like mine :( I am supposed to dive tomorrow so guess I'll be getting that changed before the dive now. Though I've never had any problems, I'm sure I'll be thinking about possibilities through out the dive. No telling how long it'll take them to get a replacement to me so I'll have to buy a HP tomorrow to replace it.

From my LDS yesterday..........

"......These hoses have been voluntarily recalled by the US representative of the Italian manufacturer of these hoses.
Please note that this hose may also have been attached to a tank fill whip used for equalizing pressure or trans-filling between cylinders.

You need to stop using these hoses immediately and review the full recall information which can be found at : http://www.xsscuba.com/miflex-safety-recall.html

A new, larger diameter, stronger design will replace these hoses and they are in transit from Italy and should be available for shipment out to everyone who completed the recall process as described in the link above sometime next week."

I had one go bad last fall, I was so irritated I chucked after switching reg set between dives. When I got home I contacted them and told them of my problem, they said beings I threw out the blown hose I was SOL on that one but, sent me some cheesy plastic end pieces to put on my other 2 HP hoses, I never did and they continue to sit on the shelf.
Don't get me wrong, I like the other hoses Miflex offers just not the HP hoses.

I just got a notice from a LDS stating that, due to a busy upcoming dive season, I have 25 days to return the hose to them. :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom