Miflex hose weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I run my primary hose with the typical behind the belt, behind the chest strap config that works fine with a traditional lp hose. With the miflex no mater how I tuck it in it just works itself out and gets to wandering around.

How do you rig your can light? I keep mine on my bp instead of on my belt so there is no option for me to rig it behind the can without compromising deplyoment efficiency. I'd be interested in a way to run mine where it didn't come lose.

Edit --------

I see on your gallery your appear to use a cummerbund or some kind of very wide weight system. I only have the 2" webbing from my waist belt and the slender chest strap to work with. You get a bonus with the way you have your kit.

:popcorn:

How is that hard to understand?

SSback.gif

Under the chest strap, under the belt, back up under the chest strap.

You do understand that your hose routing is far from typical right? I assumed from your first post that you ran it under the chest strap once (which I didn't understand) but now it seems as if you run it under the chest strap TWICE? Beyond being not "typical" that's also not safe. Why on Earth are you even bothering to use a long hose - and how is it floating away - if you route it under your harness straps in three different places?

I have to believe that part of your problem is the kooky way you're routing the hose, doing it in such a way that you're actually pulling it out. Could also be contributing to the neck chaffing issue, as you have it pulled in a certain way that it rubs against your neck. Routed properly any long hose - standard or Miflex - should make an easy "lazy" loop around your neck and not really be right up against your neck with such force that it creates enough friction for you to even notice.

Post a pic if you you don't mind so I can see just how you have yours rigged.

To borrow a term, I rig mine in the "typical" fashion :D

Behind the right shoulder, under the can light, up up across the chest, over the left shoulder, behind the neck, and in my mouth

rhea_shiprock2_124.jpg

rhea_farnsworth0240.jpg

When tropical diving without a can light I still route the hose the same way, I just tuck it into the waist strap and it's fine. You could put a knife sheath on the right side and route it under that to keep it in place.

Last edited:
DepthCharge :popcorn:
Lol ... eeeeyup. It looks like one of them popcorn threads again. Gotta love SB for all the entertainment it provides.

You do understand that your hose routing is far from typical right? I assumed from your first post that you ran it under the chest strap once (which I didn't understand) but now it seems as if you run it under the chest strap TWICE? Beyond being not "typical" that's also not safe. Why on Earth are you even bothering to use a long hose - and how is it floating away - if you route it under your harness straps in three different places?
I do understand and I see where the difference is. You're a DIR diver and I'm not. What you call "kooky" is just different than what you do. Amazing that people manage to dive non-DIR and even live to post at SB eh? There is one side down on the right, under the chest strap and under the belt, then back up on the left in reverse to the neck loop. No "three different places", just down and up with nothing interfering with deployment at all.

Many of us here don't use the DIR hose routing just because of the way the hoses are hanging out from the sides of a lot of the DIR divers such as the ones in your pictures.

I dive a very low viz lake with scattered pecan groves on a weekly basis and my hose routing is very typical for where I live. These pecan trees here are very unforgiving of stuff protruding from our gear so we have to keep everything tucked in and out of harm's way. The slightest little loop needs to be rerouted and done away with. For example, I route my light can differently than you do too. The can is attached to my bp, then the umbilical is zipped between the bp and wing and ran up between there and out with nothing protruding at all.

If I was diving caves and had to remove my gear to manage restrictions then I'd dive DIR, but I'm not. I dive in trees and have to configure my rig accordingly.

After doing OOA skill drills repetitively in 1' viz with traditional rubber hose my routing is as direct as it can get. I don't have to remove my hose from around or behind anything or even touch it at all, yet it is all still tucked away safely. I hand over the primary and get a nice smooth efficient deployment every time. You're right though. The way I route my hose does apply that pressure on my neck and cause the chafing so for that reason the miflex is just not practical for me.

We have to adjust our gear config' to suit how and where we dive with safety as the primary consideration right? Some of the locals are DIR guys and that's fine for them. After they are past being new with no issues it will not likely ever be a a problem for them on how they run their hoses. I'm a new diver with just barely over 100 dives and need to pay attention to what I do with extreme scrutiny. I need to be aware that here in this viz my buddy is there one second, and maybe not the next so every dive may end up a solo dive. Nothing protruding, easy tangle free primary routing, and everything streamlined means I'll make it out of the beginner phase of this demanding environment and on to where I want to go as a diver.

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with me RJP. You did help me out, and I know that was your intention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom