Miflex hoses for SPG and XS Scuba's poor customer service - what options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh come on. They are most likely overwhelmed with this situation and are just an unhappy about it (or more likely more) than you are.

I suspect they are going to have enough to deal with just processing the returns without having to make special accomodations. Even if there were 180 blow outs, thats out of how many thousands and thousands of hoses? You were ready to use the hose for your trip before the recall. Go ahead and use it still. The risk of a problem is still pretty low.

Or, if you don't want to do that, get a replacement hose and send it in. Then you just have a spare in your kit - which is probably a good thing.

Or, if that isn't in teh cards either, find one to borrow for your trip.

I would just buy a new hose and send a note to someone in charge at XS about the attitude of the person on the phone. The person on the phone had probably fielded many questions just like yours and probably taken a chewing several times and had had enough BUT that doesn't make rudeness right and I feel sure the people at XS would agree. I understand the initial feelings you went through but it just isn't worth being upset over, you will forget about it as soon as you hit the water with your new hose and later you will have a spare in your dive box. JMHO

I'll still be buying from XS Scuba. I like them and their service. I have a NUMBER of these hoses that will have to be exchanged. So, in the mean time, I'll make do.

Oh come on. They are most likely overwhelmed with this situation and are just an unhappy about it (or more likely more) than you are.

I am sure they are upset and I am sure they are overwhelmed but that is what being in business is all about. If you cant handle it then don't be in business. It is at times like this that quality companies rise to the fore and get to build and strengthen their customer base not erode it.

Well I seem to be in the minority here and so I will accept myself as chastised back to reality.

I am certainly not wanting to "chastise" you. I just disagree with your assessment. Being "overwhelmed" means just that. So shoot me for being patient while they are having issues with a hose they did not even manufacture. I don't sweat the small stuff, and more often than not: it's all small stuff.

The reality is that this IS a voluntary recall. There is absolutely zero guarantee that your hose is going to fail. 180 blow outs is not an insubstantial number but when you look at the number of hoses in use, it probably adds the perspective that you are missing. FWIW I have no idea what that number is. I can understand you being upset but you seem to think that this is all XS Scuba's doing. They are just a middle man in this deal and they may be working within guidelines set in place by the manufacturer. These are not just XS Scuba's rules.

These situations are never fun but I think that you are expecting WAY more than is reasonable considering the situation. Having said that, I say vent away. Sometimes it helps. I really do think the "just buy another hose, keep the existing as a spare and return it when you get back" is the best option. Just my opinion though.

I am sure they are upset and I am sure they are overwhelmed but that is what being in business is all about. If you cant handle it then don't be in business. It is at times like this that quality companies rise to the fore and get to build and strengthen their customer base not erode it.

Well I seem to be in the minority here and so I will accept myself as chastised back to reality.

I understand your frustration Chris. Where I am at we have 1 dive shop on the island. Packages take 2 weeks to get here and two weeks to get home. Combine that with a two to three week turnaround and some folks are without hoses for 6-7 weeks if they send theirs in. MiFlex is the only HP hose that the LDS sells here. I luckily have a bunch of hoses built up, so my 6" MiFlex will be sent in, but some of my friends have no spare hose. They will be without unless they order something from the states and wait for that to come, then send off their hose.

Will I continue to buy from XS? Yes. I don't buy much from them to begin with, but some of their products are nice. I need some new steel tanks soon, and I don't want Fabers, so it will be from them.

I understand your frustration Chris. Where I am at we have 1 dive shop on the island. Packages take 2 weeks to get here and two weeks to get home. Combine that with a two to three week turnaround and some folks are without hoses for 6-7 weeks if they send theirs in. MiFlex is the only HP hose that the LDS sells here. I luckily have a bunch of hoses built up, so my 6" MiFlex will be sent in, but some of my friends have no spare hose. They will be without unless they order something from the states and wait for that to come, then send off their hose.

Will I continue to buy from XS? Yes. I don't buy much from them to begin with, but some of their products are nice. I need some new steel tanks soon, and I don't want Fabers, so it will be from them.

I was going to respond to one of your posts in the other thread but it was too much on an iphone.

Question. Have you asked your LDS what they need to do in this situation? I am sure they have stock that I would expect that they get to exchange it for new hoses before it gets sold. Is that the case? Are you then able to work a deal with them where you get new hoses before they come from Miflex and simply give the other ones to the LDS? This means the LDS gives you loaner hoses (or sells them to you) and when the miflex replacements come in your replenish their stock (or get a store credit/return). You might have to buy them and accept credit later but it might be an option.

I was going to respond to one of your posts in the other thread but it was too much on an iphone.

Question. Have you asked your LDS what they need to do in this situation? I am sure they have stock that I would expect that they get to exchange it for new hoses before it gets sold. Is that the case? Are you then able to work a deal with them where you get new hoses before they come from Miflex and simply give the other ones to the LDS? This means the LDS gives you loaner hoses (or sells them to you) and when the miflex replacements come in your replenish their stock (or get a store credit/return). You might have to buy them and accept credit later but it might be an option.

I am good friends with all of the folks at the LDS. We are trying to work something out for those who wish to change their hose out. However, they are going to have to wait until they get some stock in.

I am good friends with all of the folks at the LDS. We are trying to work something out for those who wish to change their hose out. However, they are going to have to wait until they get some stock in.

I do not personally believe that XS Scuba is doing anything wrong here (with the little that I know) BUT, I know this is a time for an LDS to shine if they can. They can potentially make this easier on their supporters (not every diver but their true supporters) and look like heros. Let's hope that many of the LDS' find a way to look like hero's. I guess this is one situation where previously supporting your LDS is going to pay off for some.

Back
Top Bottom