Miflex hoses for SPG and XS Scuba's poor customer service - what options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with you Steve. I am glad something is finally being done. I don't blame XS, other than I wish they could make it where they supplied the LDS with new hoses, and allowed the LDS to do a switch out for you.

It IS a voluntary recall, and they DO have 17,000 hoses to replace. XS sold them, did not manufacture. I say give the guys a break
As for me, I carry a backup hose, after one of these failed on me. I still use all Miflex hoses.

Be glad you live somewhere where you get customer service. There are plenty of places where you would have been told that it's too bad.

I do not personally believe that XS Scuba is doing anything wrong here (with the little that I know) BUT, I know this is a time for an LDS to shine if they can. They can potentially make this easier on their supporters (not every diver but their true supporters) and look like heros. Let's hope that many of the LDS' find a way to look like hero's. I guess this is one situation where previously supporting your LDS is going to pay off for some.

Well, my shop has got some regular good ole fashion rubber HP hoses in now and is going to work with folks so they can send their hose off if they want to. Good stuff.

You might want to consider one of the double braided Kevlar hoses. They're more flexible than the rubber ones, but not shoestring floppy like the Miflex. I have't heard of any issues with them, and I replaced my Miflex HP hoses with them months ago.

There have been 180 blow outs. There is nothing voluntary about this recall. When they took my money they agreed to provide me with a safe product and 180 episodes tell me that it is not a safe product. This is a blow out, not a small discoloration after 800 dives. Do we need to wait for a fatality before it becomes the responsible thing to do?

I can't imagine a blowout would be a fun experience, but remember that a HP blowout is not nearly as serious as a LP blowout. The restrictor in the end of the regulator end of the hose severely limits the amount of air flow

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Curt Bowen
Divers

Here is a little test I did at Eagles Nest cave on Feb 12th for a small article to be placed in issue 17 of Advanced Diver Magazine.

The question I wanted to answer was:

How much time would it take to empty a full aluminum 80 cuft cylinder from 3000 psi to 0 for the following situations and would depth affect the times.

1. Failed Burst Disk
2. Failed HP Hose
3. Failed LP Hose
4. Free Flow high performance regulator 2nd stage.

I completed the test on the surface (0 feet) with 4 aluminum 80ÃÔ and a Zeagle D50 regulator. Here are the results

1. Failed Burst Disk = 72 seconds
2. Failed HP Hose = 22 minutes
3. Failed LP Hose = 83 seconds
4. Free Flow High Performance Regulator = 255 seconds

I then repeated the test at 4 atmÃÔ / 99ft

1. Failed Burst Disk = Same within a second or 2
2. Failed HP Hose = Same within a minute
3. Failed LP Hose = Same within a second or 2
4. Free Flow High Performance Regulator = 155 seconds

I then repeated the test at 8 atmÃÔ / 231ft

1. Failed Burst Disk = Same within a second or 2
2. Failed HP Hose = did not complete due to time restraints but would assume it would be with a minute difference
3. Failed LP Hose = Same within a second or 2
4. Free Flow High Performance Regulator = 91 seconds

The results show the small amounts of time a diver would have to solve a major equipment failure while at deeper depths.

Followup - have to give Kudo's to XS Scuba - they did get my hose out in record time and I just got my new hose in the mail with a one week turn about - Thanks

Good to hear about the quick turnaround.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom