Milestone dive ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats on # 3500. Many more fun and safe ones.
Great picture, but as a WWW, I gotta say, it looks cold!

Not too bad ... 46 degrees ... that's why we're wearing drysuits ... :)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Congratulations Bob :cheers:

Congratulations, Bob, on your #3,500 dive, and at Deception Pass. Very special dive!

Great job, Bob! At my current rate of diving, I should get there sometime in 2037.

awesome ....great photo..

Wow that's a smart looking lady beside you in the DUI… how'd you get so lucky in having such an attractive dive buddy? :wink:

Hehehehee…

---------- Post added April 13th, 2015 at 03:55 PM ----------

Since not many of you are friends of mine on FB (although you're welcome to add me), here is a cut/paste of a status I posted yesterday in honour of Bob and his milestone dive:

I will start status report with one statement – I love Bob Bailey!

Firstly, I believe that people are brought into our lives for a reason and I am so thankful that Bob was introduced to me by Janney and Coll Jaxen for a weekend trip to Vancouver Island they had planned (Bob was matched up with me as my buddy). It seems like ages ago, but yet it hasn’t even been a year, I met Bob shortly after my boyfriend (who was also my dive buddy and travel companion) of several years and I had recently split, and although I had just completed my PADI self-reliant diver course, I was feeling quite uncertain about where my dive future would now lead me and who I would be diving with, if anyone. Let’s not kid ourselves, camera toting divers are a specific breed – we need to either dive with similar minded folk or those that completely accept us for how we dive (the good and the bad), and those kinds of buddies are somewhat hard to find.

Bob is an extraordinary man. In the short time I have known him, I have grown immensely as a diver, pushed my limits (within the ever expanding parameters of my comfort zone and just slightly beyond), and experienced things I could not have even imagined only a few years ago. This past weekend being a prime example. Bob completed his 3500 dive today (amazing in and of itself), I am somewhere hovering around 410. I consider it an honour and a privilege to dive with such an experienced and solid dive buddy. He makes me feel safe while we’re diving (he never leaves me, he communicates well, and we plan our dives ahead of time so there’s no apprehension about how the dive will go – this is how people are supposed to dive!), he helps me with my heavy gear on shore (I appreciate this soooo much!!), and I enjoy his company immeasurably. I love sitting on our computers together in his office after a dive looking at our pictures and sharing stories about our dives of the day and what we saw. Some of my friends around BC have already heard me sing songs about how awesome Bob is (and some of you have had the pleasure of meeting him also), but perhaps he doesn’t hear it enough himself and who doesn’t deserve to receive some praise once and a while, this man sure deserves it.

As for Bob’s diving, he’s an instructor with patience for dealing with new divers (although he’s retiring from that shortly, June I believe he said), yet every dive with him is a learning experience for me. Yesterday I got to try out diving with a real DPV as I am hoping to buy one within a year or so. Couldn’t have done that without Bob.
Today I shore dove Deception Pass, WA – this dive site was INSANE (seriously, INSANE) … trip report will follow with the pictures in due course, I wouldn’t have been able to experience that without Bob.

I got home from my drive down South to Seattle (about an hour and a half from Deception Pass) with a smile on my face and still shaking my head over how crazy this past weekend was. Nothing really went according to plan and the motto for the weekend really should have been, “It’s not normally like this…” for both of the dive sites we hit (3 dives over the weekend), but Bob and I rolled with the punches. Him because he’s experienced, calm, sensible, and amazing. Me, because I got to dive with Bob.

I am a little sad though thinking that he is going to eventually move on, probably sooner than later, as retirement for this man is going to come within a few years and he’s got plans to move somewhere warm and sunny (far away). It gives me an excuse and another vacation destination I guess (I always try to find the positive). However, in the meantime, I am going to get in as many dives as I can with this master of the underwater world and thank my lucky stars that he allows me to dive with him and call him a friend.

Congrats on your DIVE 3500 Bob, I LOVE YOU!!!!

---------- Post added April 13th, 2015 at 03:56 PM ----------

View attachment 206519

---------- Post added April 13th, 2015 at 03:57 PM ----------

Photo of Bob taken during his #3,500 dive at Deception Pass, WA :D

Congratulations !!

I recently did my 1200th dive. It was at Palancar Caves in Cozumel. Immediately on descent we found a large turtle, which made the dive extra special. I didn't get a cake, but I had a cold cerveza when we were done diving for the day. :D

Looking forward to the next 1200 dives - preferably more warm water than cold water dives. :wink:

Dive safe !!

Divegoose

Congratulations on #3500! Wow, that is a lot of dives, especially when I am looking forward to logging my 200th this year.

I had the great pleasure to dive in your area at the end of last month, Mike's Beach Resort, Sund Rock, Keystone jetty and a tire reef that was also on Whidbey Island.

It was nice to see some sunflower stars, I have seen only some very small ones in my neck of the ocean. (maybe they will come back)

Lots of the same fish, but yours are on steroids I swear! I was very lucky that the weather was so nice and the visibility was too.

Glad you had a memorable dive and that you have marked it well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom