Military Jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, 4-5 years ago I was the guy that used to get military surplus for my LE agency under the DRMO program. I would go to Norfolk and St. Juliens Creek to grab up surplus equipment for my dive team. A lot of the goodies were drysuits, U/W cameras, OTS wireless underwater comm units, F470 Zodiacs and scuba tanks, compressors, just to name a few. A lot of the gear was originated from Special Warfare teams. Some came from conventional diving units like salvage units or even rental recreational gear from special services. Once in a while I would find a big box of used fins from Specwar such as a Seal team or Marine Recon units. Invariably the fins were always US Divers Rocket fins. The only thing different from the recreational fins was that these fins had a grommet placed at the end of the blade to hep secure the fin when transported.

From that we would of course conclude that the military keeps the exceptionally good performing Jet Fin and surpluses the Rocket Fin. :D

Jeeze...farce fins...who'da thunk...those last fins are not full-length splits methinks...they are the fins used for boogey boarding...interesting....

If you look at the photo you notice the soldiers are walking/running with their fins on. There may also be aerodynamic considerations. I kind of think baseing a fin decision upon what a special forces team uses is kind of off the mark. Most scuba divers are more concerned with uw propulsion rather than running and skydiving pursuits whilst wearing fins.

N

There is that. Shuffling to the door to jump would be a lot easier in Force Fins or some other type of short (wimpy, inadequate, poorly propulsing) fin than it would be in XXL Jets.

On the other hand, if you hooked an XXL Jet Fin to each riser with the large foot pocket pointing down you would not even need a parachute.

nope, try this, yup look closely, those are ForceFins, and they are landing a multiple ton SDV in a moderate sea-state (3-4). Call them wimpy all you want, but if they are so wimpy them how exactly could 3 men land this thing safely
fins_in_use.jpg

and of course we have all seen this photo, look closely, yup ForceFins again
shark_attack_helo.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom