Mind: blown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha, I'm almost more afraid of touching shells than I am seeing sharks! My luck, I'll touch a shell and have an itchy red finger for 6 months, lmao! Top of my scuba bucket list is great white diving with no cage :)
Or die on the surface/beach/boat after telling your buddies "a shell stung me".

Be careful where you put your hand, I was pointing out a scorpionfish to a fellow diver, and subsequently just barely managed to grab his hand and stop him from touching it when his finger was milimeters from the fish! He hadn't seen it, and thought I was pointing out a crab or something(I'd pointed out a lot of little things for him on the nightdive the day before), and just wanted a handhold to look closer...

For me, it was our "shakedown" dive on this trip to Maui. Puddling around at a very familiar place, in about 25 feet of water, I had already found a number of interesting small animals. Suddenly, I heard my husband shouting -- and he doesn't DO that. (I do, when I find something really cool, but he just doesn't.) I looked up, to find a very large manta swimming majestically past, about ten feet away. We swam with him as best we could, and then watched him disappear in the distance.

It was a great object lesson in the fact that no ocean dive is "dull". It's like a treasure hunt, and you never have any idea what you are going to find.

For me, I'm holding on in my mind to a simple dive last June in Rarotonga in the South Pacific.

the previous dives were full of whale music from the humpback migration, but we were told 'you never see them. It is a huge ocean, our vis is 80 ft, and the chance of one passing that close is almost nil'.

Then, needless to say, I turned to my dive buddy to point out a nudibranch, and there, face on staring at us, was a humpback, maybe 30 feet away, just hanging there. Extraordinary. We hung and stared back, and eventually it turned and moved off, kinda like a barn gliding gracefully by...

Back
Top Bottom