Mini scuba diving: filling the tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking as somebody who has experience with "alternative underwater breathing gear", take the full SCUBA course and then use real gear. I tried garden hoses connected to foot air pumps, hot water bottles, balloons in a pillow case, etc. I almost died a couple of times.

I've seen the mini scuba tanks that you pump up with a bicycle type looking pump and I noticed an interesting thing. I didn't see any sold by retailers here in the States. All of them had to be imported. Maybe because of the liability?

The mini scuba system is not a pony bottle! I don't think they would even qualify as an emergency source of air.

Small tanks, untrained divers... This looks like a lung over-expansion injury waiting to happen.

so i'll give you a little story...

I used to work at a motorcycle shop way back before scooters became mainstream. Guys comes in and asks how to make his scooter go faster. My answer, "buy a motorcycle".

don't short change yourself with a two-breath water bottle system. get yourself certified and enjoy it.

OP, do you have experience with scuba diving? Your profile shows being in California. If you want to learn more about diving, or free diving, if you are willing to share what town you are in we can find an instructor near you.
I have dived with an instructor twice in Kozumel, maximum depth was 8.5 meters as far as I temember. I liked the experience. Other than that, I was snorkelling a lot. I have 2 issues with PADI certification:

1. Due to low buoyancy, I will have a problem swimming 200m unassisted. I always swim in a slightly inflated vest. Or I would need a snorkel to keep my head low, and preferably fins.
2. PADI certification requires a 60 feet dive. I actually don't need that much, I'd be happy with 35-40.

So the question is: is there any other type of certification, where I could swim with a slight assistance of a vest ?

I have dived with an instructor twice in Kozumel, maximum depth was 8.5 meters as far as I temember. I liked the experience. Other than that, I was snorkelling a lot. I have 2 issues with PADI certification:

1. Due to low buoyancy, I will have a problem swimming 200m unassisted. I always swim in a slightly inflated vest. Or I would need a snorkel to keep my head low, and preferably fins.
2. PADI certification requires a 60 feet dive. I actually don't need that much, I'd be happy with 35-40.

So the question is: is there any other type of certification, where I could swim with a slight assistance of a vest ?
Relax, you'll do fine in a scuba certification course. Look through the posts in this forum (New Divers and Those Considering Diving) and you'll see many people have named all kinds of things as obstacles, and then later they somehow managed to overcome them and become certified divers. Swimming doesn't come naturally to some people--it did not to me--but swimming problems can be overcome. Have you considered hiring someone to help you specifically with the swimming?

You would probably not be the first diver who enjoys the simple pleasure of a 35-40 foot dive, even though they are certified beyond that depth. The nice thing about scuba certification is you can choose how YOU prefer to dive, including the depth range in which you feel comfortable.

Welcome!

1. You need a certain level of fitness and proficiency in the water in order to dive. If you don't have that you should work on that first. I believe you have an option to do a swim test with mask and fins but it's longer distance. I don't recall off hand.
2. 60' is the max for open water certification. Typically dives are conducted 20'-50'.

You can swim in whatever fashion suits you. Backstroke if you like. Easy to keep your lungs full and maintain buoyancy. I’d suggest checking out an adult swim class. They can probably refine or introduce new techniques to help you.

The certification for open water will cover you to 60’. Most classes are conducted around 25’ or so for the open water skill portions. The dive tours can go deeper, but you aren’t required to go to 60’ for your check-out dives. Vast majority are probably done at 40-45’. Once you get past the first dozen or so feet where equalization of your ears is most pronounced, the rest is pretty much unnoticeable. If you were blindfolded and brought to depth, assuming no equalization issues, you probably couldn’t tell the difference between 20’ and 60’.

Here come the scuba police.

You can fill off of a scuba tank, with a transfill whip.

If you don't understand the physics of diving, and pressurized air, don't do it. If you understand it, rock on. Have fun.

A real scuba bpw with a small wing, and small tank. Or a side mount rig with a tiny tank, may be more suitable to you, in the long run.

As for snorkeling. Get a weight belt and practice your freediving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom