Mini season takes its toll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think FWC should watch out for dangerous boaters and stop them and have other FWC checking in at ports of call for all the other BULL that you must need to be out on the water....
If they didn't spend so much time stopping people and checking their boats they could be watching out for the people in the water and making sure they are safe.
Just my 2 cents

Just a point here folks - does FWC have jurisdiction over boating? Lobstering, fishing - yes... Unsafe boating - thats the Sherrif's domain - isn't it?

Last edited:
Here's a take on mini-season from a perspective I haven't heard yet...

What mini-season does is allows the recreational yahoos to go screaming all over the keys (Florida) acting foolish BEFORE the commercial guys drop their traps. If sport season and commercial season opened the same day, I wonder how many trap lines/buoys/traps would survive, never mind the easy pickens on poaching traps.

Rachel

Here's a take on mini-season from a perspective I haven't heard yet...

What mini-season does is allows the recreational yahoos to go screaming all over the keys (Florida) acting foolish BEFORE the commercial guys drop their traps. If sport season and commercial season opened the same day, I wonder how many trap lines/buoys/traps would survive, never mind the easy pickens on poaching traps.

Rachel

OMG!!!! could you imagine what this place would be like and how many people would be in trouble
eek.gif
You have a very good point.

I was out there both days and I saw very little in the way of boats. I live in West Palm Beach, Fl. I was thinking that there was going to a hundred boats out there. Half of the boats where fishermen and they stayed away for us. Most where out 125 150 ft. A lot of dive boats but spread out. I did not see any divers that where not with us. That in it's self is a sing that there was not that many divers out. I think the Keys might have been Bowen out but not west palm Peach.
The vis was grate top to bottom 100 ft +. The drift was about 1.5 to 2 nice. The water was 81d. The water was flat with a milled Bries. Both days where pitcher perfect.

If they did away with mini-season it would be just as busy on the first 2 days of opening season. That wouldn't solve anything.

All mini season really does is give sport hunters a head start on the commercial trappers.

You beat me to it, thank you.

Just a point here folks - does FWC have jurisdiction over boating? Lobstering, fishing - yes... Unsafe boating - thats the Sherrif's domain - isn't it?
FWC has jurisdiction over every law on the books in Florida, along with fishing / hunting regs.

I think its a question of advertising really , meaning most folks think they are getting something speacial by being involved in mini , now lets say the state says " we are putting a stop to mini season " , how many of those folks , I mean the ones who only dive once a year , the ones who come in from all over the place , do you think would actually come for opening day with the rest of us poor folks.

Everyone because they would put more advertising on Opening day instead of Mini and than opening day..

Here is my 2 pennies worth. We get rid of mini season all together. Yes in normal situations that would just move the dates of the insanity back a bit but while you are making that change you open the season to year round for no commercial florida residents. The same rules apply for size and limits but that will relieve the pressure from the locals. Raise the cost of the lobster license for out of staters as well. You don't want to eliminate the tourism but you want to make it a little tougher on them so every johnny-jackass in the country thinks twice about coming down.
Think of how much less traffic you will have on that one two day event if all the locals have already been out diving for lobster.
We should absolutely be educating boat operators more as well. The additional licensing fees could go toward that and a mandatory safety course for those coming in from out of state wouldn't be bad either. Something that could be done online before coming down. The additional revenue from an online course like that could go a long way toward environmental protection and law enforcement. After the course they get a sticker to go on their boat that changes every year and then law enforcement knows who to go get. Just a thought.

Amen brother!
Waaay to many yahoos out there that fit into one of two categories:
Those ignorant of the laws/rules and therefore do stupid and/or unsafe things that put the rest of us in jeopardy.
Those that know the rules/laws but think they are above them and again put the responsible boaters/divers in jeopardy.
Personally, I don't care if what these fools do to themselves, just don't threaten my good time or life!
P.S. Add a boat ramp etiquette portion to that boating course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom