Minimum Age to Begin Pro Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"the level of resentment toward the under 15 restrictions was beyond words"

This alone shows that PADI and Other agencies are totally right in asking people to be 18 before they can be certified as PRO Divers and be responsible for others. If she cannot understand this, then your daughter needs to grow up.
:wink:

This alone shows that PADI and Other agencies are totally right in asking people to be 18 before they can be certified as PRO Divers and be responsible for others. If she cannot understand this, then your daughter needs to grow up.
This post misunderstands the comment it is responding to. Lighten up.

I'd buy her the college textbooks for marine biology and such and have her talk to her guidance counselor. I had one college text that was a marine biology coloring book. (I guess college kids like to color :))

NAUI has specialty courses that can be customized for Underwater Environment, Underwater Ecology (coral or kelp), Underwater Archaeology.

Catalina Island Marine Institute (CIMI) in California has great summer camp for kids that is marine biology oriented. Seacamp in the Florida Keys and Seatrek sailing the BVI's would have great programs for kids aiming in that career path.

Women Diver's Hall of Fame should also have some scholarships that she can apply for training.

They have a marine biology coloring book too?! I remember having the do the anatomy coloring book and she has the biology one - both are great. Who doesn't like to color? ;-)
The NAUI courses sound like something she would love. These types of classes have proved to be a huge inspiration.
California may be an option for the summer, depending on the length of the program, cost, etc. We were hoping to find something in Hawaii, but haven't found anything promising yet. Florida and BVI aren't impossible, but with the distance the logistics of it could be a little rough.
We'll take a look at the Women Diver's Hall of Fame for the scholarship opportunities - if it weren't for scholarships I don't know what we would do.
Thanks for the awesome suggestions!

---------- Post added March 6th, 2014 at 06:26 AM ----------

I was being a little sarcastic about the whole "resentment" thing - and I know sarcasm often isn't clear online. I do understand your point though, and I agree. Honestly, if she had any "resentment" it was toward me when I would bring the topics of deep or wreck diving up around her, which she viewed as rubbing in the fact that she couldn't go on these dives that she would have absolutely loved to be a part of. As far as the rules themselves, I never once heard her argue with them, say they were bad rules, etc. - and believe me, if she had thought this way I would have heard all about it. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom