Minimum Experience for Rebreather Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks, I'm very much a developing diver with roughly 100 dives. With upcoming schedule, I'll likely have about 200 by end of 2024. I've always been fascinated by rebreathers and would love to do some training down the road. I know everyone is different but what would say is the minimum experience before doing that training?

Hi folks, I'm very much a developing diver with roughly 100 dives. With upcoming schedule, I'll likely have about 200 by end of 2024. I've always been fascinated by rebreathers and would love to do some training down the road. I know everyone is different but what would say is the minimum experience before doing that training?
You’ll probably be fine. Be aware that some CCR instructors want OC tech experience before CCR, even though basic CCR cert is air dil only, no deco, 100ft limit. I’ve known a number of people to go CCR straight from single tank (they were experience) and are doing quite well now.

How long have you been diving?

Edit: I had no OC deco experience, although I was full cave. Got trained last fall and enjoying building hours.

Depends on how much you want to and can learn. I went from OC recreational (no doubles or ANDP) to CCR and it was ok. Definitely learned a few new skills. Now I am MOD2 (60m or 200ft) and really enjoying it.

With all respect to TDI, I know what I was like after 20 dives and I would never have done it. Hell, I feel 10 times more comfortable now than I did with 20 dives and it wasn't long ago. I was guessing about 200 dives but it was just a guess because I don't know what I'm talking about with technical diving.
I was talking about this with a couple of experienced CCR diver buddies recently. Their opinion was 100 dives. I was at about 450ish.

So Marie, I'm assuming there's basic CCR training that just teaches you how to use the gear and do no deco diving and you can learn longer stay times and deco stops after you get the fundamentals? Maybe that's what you already said in your first post and I didn't know.

Oh yeah, 100+ dives recommended.

So Marie, I'm assuming there's basic CCR training that just teaches you how to use the gear and do no deco diving and you can learn longer stay times and deco stops after you get the fundamentals? Maybe that's what you already said in your first post and I didn't know.
Yes, basic CCR class, which people may refer to as Mod 1, is air diluent only, no deco, 100ft depth limit. You need 50 hours to be able to go onto to Mod 2/Helitrox, deco, to 150ft.

So at the air dil no deco level, you’ve got a nitrox mixing machine on your back and NDL is longer, at least it seems to me, than on OC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom