Misconceptions and Fallacies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlegros:
I can't believe that after reading through 23 pages of this, no-one has mentioned the number one diving myth...

Once you've bought all you own kit, you don't need to buy anything else and diving is cheap! :)

Dom
The expense per dive (atleast for me) IS low, as long as I dont decide to travel abroad to dive that is :p
If I spend 3000 dollars a year on diving, thats FAR less than what people spend on other hobbies. If I start travelling.. Well so does skydivers, car and motorcycle "addicts" such as my dad who buy AT LEAST one veteran motorcycle each year and refurbish it..

Tigerman:
Such as?
Assume you dive dry, you are completely OOA and there is a rupture in your BCD.. How do you achieve more bouyancy? What device do you carry to handle that?

Orally inflatable lift bag.

dlegros:
I can't believe that after reading through 23 pages of this, no-one has mentioned the number one diving myth...

Once you've bought all you own kit, you don't need to buy anything else and diving is cheap! :)

Dom
Whaahaaaahahaha! :rofl3: :rofl3:
That's a good one, and soooo true to boot! I have all my own kit that I need and if you consider the facts that 1.) I like to do at least 2 dives every week, and 2.) I personally prefer boat diving to shore entries (although I do those more frequently than boats these days) using only boat operators would certainly run up a very nice tab :11: - I can just picture the "discussion" with the dive operator owner about unpaid debts and the words "scrubbing the deck or else..." featuring prominently :D

(No offense to dive operators; it just would get a tad expensive, at least for me, if one had to only do boat diving; unless of course one had a friendly contact, or a related job or something somesuch that would mitigate any payments for the privilege)

dlegros:

Cheap is relative... if you're lucky enough to live near good beach diving, once you own ALL of your own gear, you can dive as much as you want for the cost of an air fill. There is one LDS near me that has air cards for $20... $2 per fill. Not too shabby, and as cheap as it gets. You still have to pay gas to drive to the shore, and possibly parking, unless you live walking distance from the beach. And you still need to have your regs serviced annually and your tanks inspected. And batteries for your flashlight (if you night dive), or at least the pennies needed to recharge the rechargeables. But it is true that, once you own everything, the cost CAN come down a LOT.

Until something breaks or gets lost, stolen, or just plain worn out. :11:

How about: You cannot get your gear serviced if you buy it online. Or from a "non-authorized" reseller.

Reading another thread just made me think of one.

"Online stores are cheaper because they have no overhead!"

wettek:
Actually, I would tend to agree with this one.

Overweighted=more air in BCD to become neutral=more drag=more air consumption.

Everyone always stresses sreamlining and reducing bulk to be more efficient, and the BC is probably the biggest bit of kit we wear. Making it bigger by adding air to offset overweighting has got to increase drag, consequently increasing air consumption.

Not all BC's are created equal. Some are quite a bit more streamlined than others and that's with or without air.

Charlie99:
Myth: If you have had an uncontrolled ascent incident, the answer is to add more weight.

This can be true if the reason you had a problem was that you were too underweighted to be able to hold your safety stop.

OTOH, a lot more common problem is that a diver is OVERWEIGHTED. To be neutral they then have to put a lot of air in the BCD. This big air bubble will expand upon ascending, and must be released from the BCD. If you don't then you can get into a runaway ascent. If this is the root cause, then adding more weight will make the situation worse, not better.

Removing weight doesn't fix the fact that this diver hasn't learned to vent before ascending.

Blackwood:
Orally inflatable lift bag.

Yup, that would work. That was my plan B. Plan A was to inflate my dry suit using the argon bottle.

TomP:
Yup, that would work. That was my plan B. Plan A was to inflate my dry suit using the argon bottle.
Not having any argon when I dive, the lift bag would be my option. Now the question is of course, how do i attach that thing properly to stay afloat and will I be able to do it in a stressed situation? Time to go find out :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom