Missile Silo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wstein:
I have shotgun.
Gotta travel REALLY light........or we can't put the top down!!

I'm leaving from Cincinnati, let me know when you get here.

well dang, I guess I'll have to bring just my James Bond rebreather with me then.

wstein:
well dang, I guess I'll have to bring just my James Bond rebreather with me then.
Well then, if you call me Miss Moneypenny I'll get a big knife and strap it to my thigh. :wink:

See PennyPue doesn't need to dive in nuclear waste, she already has a GLOWING PERSONALITY :death2:

Wow In Wisconsin we had the old Nike sites,now long gone,but they were small silos built in the 60's the Kenedy years,the sites were given back to the towns they were in,The missile's were moved out at night,they filled with water after years,and a tar like muck,man I would no stick a toe in them,Builders dumped some junk into them,and built houses around them. cool to have a open one in your back yard!
Brad

Lil' Irish Temper:
See PennyPue doesn't need to dive in nuclear waste, she already has a GLOWING PERSONALITY :death2:
Maintenance my dear man, maintenance.
Pue needs a good dose of rads to maintain her good humor.

Besides, I'll dive in anything warm/cold, salt/fresh, shallow/deep, current/no current, clear/murky, radioactive/nonradioactive so long as it's wet.

pennypue:
That's what I'm thinkin'!!!!
:auto:

Are you guys serious?? I could see the conversation between my girlfriend and myself now.

Me: I will be back in a couple of days. I am going diving!
GF: Oh, going to Blue Springs AGAIN?
Me: Not this time. I am headed to Texas to dive an old missle silo. :11:

Been there done that! The one in Abilene, TX is called Valhalla. Dive-aholic is correct about the T-shirt. An interesting dive - I learned a lot there!!! Water temp is 54 degrees year round - 85 steps down and back up with all your gear. An interesting place for specialities, I did altitude & deep there. There is about 110 ft of ground water now in the silo. familyscuba.com is the shop that owns the Silo.

No amenities on site, but Abilene has plenty of motels.

Becky

Ruh roh -- now I'm REALLY starting to wonder about what LIT is learning to use a bag for -- I can see him floating a Minuteman :)

Back
Top Bottom