Missing Buoys on Pattaya's Kood Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On 22-23 July 2009, I picked my AOW students descent at Kood wreck and found that the line at 6 metres was in bad condition (nearely spilt off). Upon the boat, I also told boat captain about buoy condition but didn't knew who will take responsibility about the line (Thai NAVY or City office?).

A number of times when I have dived the Kood the rope has been wrapped arround the tower, obviously this happens as the tide turns. Eventually this must damage the rope and the wreck as the metal becomes more fragile, and any marine life that is attatched to the wreck
If we must have permanent lines on the wrecks would it not be prudent to anchor them to the seabed a few metres from the wreck to preserve the wreck as long as possible.
Similar to what was at the Hard deep last time I dived there.

In my experience the best way of keeping mooring buoys in Thai waters in good shape is when local Dive Centers and their Instructors / DM's take care of them as soon as the Navy or other Thai Government institution has installed the buoys.
Government agencies will not often (or not at all) check and repair the moorings after installation and dive-boats regularly visiting and using these moorings should take some responsibility for repairs and maintenance. Keeping lines free of algae, goose neck barnacles and other growth can easily be done during safety stops by Instructors and DM's. Frayed lines can quickly be fixed by boat crew immediately upon decent of the divers. Replacing (part of) the mooring's rope isn't too hard to do too and doesn't have to cost much if you use old anchor rope from your boat or buy some second-hand rope (believe it or not but there are shops in Thailand that cheaply sell 2nd hand rope and anchor chain).

I've also found that if you visit the Royal Thai Navy or Marine Biological Institute (or other agency involved in installing/maintaining moorings) and ask for some rope and/or new float they will be happy to help you and provide everything you need.

I think way too often people are waiting for things to happen rather than taking some initiative and do something about it.

I think way too often people are waiting for things to happen rather than taking some initiative and do something about it.

Again! I must agree, but unfortunately all too often that is the way of most Pattaya shops, all they want to do is take the money and never put anything back. Even if it is something that just takes a little effort and thought and doesn't cost any money.

I thought either Mermaid's or Aquanauts installed that nice "prudent" permanent line anchored a few meters from the Hardeep you mentioned. Its still there by the way. Will the buoy remain?

Fantastic diving last Sunday out of Sameasan. My dive group got to see cuttlefish mating! A dive buddy took some great pictures of the cuttlefish and of a few nice blue spotted rays. The one on the Hardeep was especially impressive. We were so captivated by the cuttlefish we did not go look at the turtle other divers were motioning about. I must admit this was not a typical day and was truly memorable. If you love to dive, Pattaya is a good choice this time of year, especially if you can't fly to other destinations and need to stay close to BKK. 3 dives at different spots and all good.

I thought either Mermaid's or Aquanauts installed that nice "prudent" permanent line anchored a few meters from the Hardeep you mentioned. Its still there by the way. Will the buoy remain?

Congratulations to who ever installed the shot line at the hard deep, its just what is needed there in the strong currents that are often present.

Incidentally if you look at post No 5 on this thread by Apecks, it says the permanent steel buoy has been missing for a while??

The concrete anchor for the line is still there, but the red buoy was missing. A white plastic jug is in place. The actual line come to think of looked different, perhaps it was replaced. Sorry if my post was misleading.

The concrete anchor for the line is still there, but the red buoy was missing. A white plastic jug is in place. The actual line come to think of looked different, perhaps it was replaced. Sorry if my post was misleading.

It was Mermaids that put the concrete anchors in place (photo's & story on there web
site).

The red buoy was there last month when I dived the hardeep a couple of times (I remember because we had to set a compass bearing on it when we tried diving it and the current was too strong to get down the line, so we had to drift 300m on to the wreck :D).
I do not know what happened to the other line with the white steel buoy, that disappered sometime ago.

LK - You think Pattaya is bad for line maintainance. Ever dived the King cruiser? There was a 1m long trail on the line when I dove it last and 30 divers trying to get to the line in a current :rofl3:

LK - You think Pattaya is bad for line maintainance. Ever dived the King cruiser? There was a 1m long trail on the line when I dove it last and 30 divers trying to get to the line in a current :rofl3:

You're right.
Some of the dive sites around Phuket could also use some new and/or extra mooring lines. Not many of Phuket's local dive-ops seem to be too interested in doing something about it....

I do not know what happened to the other line with the white steel buoy, that disappered sometime ago.

I must admit, my memory does get a bit clouded these days. Hopefully, someone will remove the one line that goes from the wreck and stops at about 15m mid water. It can be misleading to divers.

Mermaid's indeed did a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom