Missing Diver - Fort Lauderdale Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What makes you think he was experienced? I didn't know him, but none of the reports suggest he was experienced. What is experienced?

Just the news reports http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81433840/ . Sounds like a 20 year Florida diver. Granted he could have been doing one dive per year.

I completely agree about the "find me" device and will put off it's purchase no longer.

Hope the guy turns up in Newfoundland.

No need to get defensive. Lay blame wherever you want, it's besides the point, and wasn't where I was going. I was focused on the way the report sounded, like his buddies first noticed his absence when surfacing. Are those that have been diving for decades that nonchalant about keeping track of whom they are diving with? What is your speculative idea of how this happened and could have been avoided? This guy was/is an experienced diver.
It isn't uncommon for divers to go the solo route, especially if they are busy hunting (I don't know if they were or not). This diver had 20 years of diving behind him so, I suspect that he was pretty comfortable diving sans buddy.

Very sad.... this just out.... sorry to hear... :(

Dania Beach: Man's body in dive gear found at John U. Lloyd State Park - Sun Sentinel

By Linda Trischitta, Sun Sentinel10:51 a.m. EDT, September 23, 2014

DANIA BEACH—
The body of a man in full dive gear was discovered Tuesday at the edge of the ocean inside John U. Lloyd Beach State Park, officials said.
The discovery, believed to be that of a man in his 40s, was made shortly before 7 a.m., according to Hollywood Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Chris Del Campo.
It was not immediately known if the body is that of Marc Raroha, 45, of Pompano Beach who went missing Saturday afternoon while diving with friends off Fort Lauderdale.
Following a 45-hour effort, the Coast Guard suspended its search for Raroha on Monday evening pending further developments in the case.

ID Confirmed -

Reported in the Sun-Sentinel September 25th:

"The body of a man that washed ashore in Dania Beach Tuesday morning was identified as the diver who went missing in the Atlantic Ocean last weekend.

The body of Marc Raroha, 42, of Pompano Beach, was outfitted in diver gear when his remains were discovered by a jogger at the water's edge in John U. Lloyd Beach State Park, authorities said.
His identity was confirmed by Hollywood Police Lt. Derik Alexander on Thursday.

Raroha vanished Saturday while diving with friends in the sea off Fort Lauderdale."

Reported in the Sun Sentinel September 29th...note reportedly an experienced diver:

"The family of a diver whose body washed ashore in Dania Beach has planned a memorial service for him on Saturday.
The body of Marc Raroha, 42, of Pompano Beach, was outfitted in diver gear when his remains were discovered by a jogger at the water's edge in John U. Lloyd Beach State Park on Sept. 23, authorities said.
Raroha, who worked in the air conditioning industry, was an experienced diver. He vanished Sept. 20 while with friends in the sea off Fort Lauderdale.

The cause and manner of his death may be known in coming weeks after the results of toxicology tests are received by the Broward Medical Examiner's Office.

The service will be held from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Genesis Funeral Home, 5749 Pembroke Rd., Hollywood. Marc Raroha is survived by his parents, David and Virginia Raroha, of Plantation, and a brother, Richard Raroha."
________________________________________________________________________________________

A very sad accident for sure. My thoughts and prayers are directed to his family and loved ones.....

Hopefully, we can learn from these accidents to make scuba diving safer for all.

Last edited:
Sorry for bringing up the old thread. Does anyone have any additional info on what has gone wrong? I was in Fort Lauderdale when it happened, thus, kind of struck me as memorable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom