Missing Diver off Daytona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to the Sea Emperor a couple of weeks ago. The current was a little strong. Two ladies were by themselves and got paired up on the boat. When we came back, I heard one of them say to the other one: I decided to come back because I was running out of air and the current was making me drift like it was making you drift, so I just came back earlier. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I don't ever want to get stuck with a buddy that would just leave me there because they are running out of air or drifting away and they see me drifting as well. If they have to surface, I will surface with them. No question about it.

Every time I read another posting I am starkly reminded that while diving is beautiful, it is not without risks and it is simply not worth it to take risks.....There is always another day to dive. We are headed on a liveabord in the Caymans next week and I plan to play close attention to my dive buddy and if I feel tired or "out of sorts" I'll simply dive another time. IT's not worth the risks that some people take. Too many people are simply not in the best physical shape to be diving in environments that may be less than desirable (swift current, choppy water, mandatory swimming).

before this thread gets any further off course, has any one heard any further information about this lost man off Daytona?

i've been out with Sea Dogs and they seem like a good outfit. however, like
almost every other dive charter i've been with in Florida, they don't put a DM in
the water with you, nor will they stop someone from jumping in late to catch up
with their buddies who are already diving.

i have, unfortunately, seen many, many, many divers not used to currents get
into trouble within a minute of hitting the water, still in the surface.

i have actually HEARD a diver whimper "Help" with almost no strength left, forcing
a DM wearing nothing but shorts to jump in the water to help a fully-clad diver with
perfectly functioning equipment. honestly.

a few things do trouble me:

1. The diver missing was paired up with a buddy, but got stressed out trying to swim to the anchor rope for descent in surface current and wind. either no line was provided, leading from the anchor line to the stern of the boat, so that the divers could "pull and glide on it," this diver was not briefed on how to use it, or he simply chose not to use it. NEVER swim against a current, no matter how mild it may seem, without keeping a careful eye on yourself. if you even start to feel tired, STOP. you'll be surprised how quickly you can get exhausted. about the worst thing you can do is descend while you are "panting." you will go through air like crazy, and you
will likely overbreathe your reg, resulting in more stress and distress.

2. He came back to the boat and got out of the water, out of breath and tired. Excellent! If in doubt, call the dive and come back to the boat. After his buddy left, this guy should have stayed put and waited for the next dive. He would still be alive if only he'd stayed put. also, he probably didn't change his tank, so he's going down with probably 1000-1500 psi short of a full tank due to his earlier excertions.

H2Andy:
either no line was provided, leading from the anchor line to the stern of the boat, so that the divers could "pull and glide on it," this diver was not briefed on how to use it.

I dont recall them having one when I was there. On my second dive, my cousin and I decided to use the back roll off the side of the boat opposed to the giant stride entry off the back, that way we only had to swim half the distance to the anchor line.

when i dove with them, no line was provided, but the current was nil, and the
waves were non-existent (hence, i failed to vomit to the disappointment of Simbrooks,
Scubafool, and assorted others).

H2Andy:
a few things do trouble me:
Me too...
H2Andy:
After his buddy left, this guy should have stayed put and waited for the next dive. He would still be alive if only he'd stayed put.
Did the two divers have any communication that the remaining buddy should continued without the deceased? According to ABQdiver,
ABQdiver:
His buddy thought he wasn't going to make it down,so he went down with another group of divers.
Thought? Well that sure sounds to me like the guy left his buddy. You can wax on about the poor choice he made to try again after getting out but if this was not discussed and agreed upon then you cannot ignore the fact that his buddy failed him. When you get in the water with someone you get out with them. Period. End of story. If you have a problem with that then go check out the new solo diving forum. But if you agree to be someone's buddy you'd better be prepared to act like one. And that means getting out of the water if they have a problem.

[the fact that his buddy failed him. When you get in the water with someone you get out with them. Period. End of story. If you have a problem with that then go check out the new solo diving forum. But if you agree to be someone's buddy you'd better be prepared to act like one. And that means getting out of the water if they have a problem]

How did the buddy fail him ? He /she was down the line on the wreck by the time the other diver was on the anchor line.

Both people have to be good dive buddies. Just because you abort a dive it does not mean your buddy has too. He/she still should be allowed to catch up and dive with the others. Now it is up to you to face the facts and not get back into the water. In this case with respect for the person(fully) but he failed himself he should have known not to get back into the water plain and simple. The buddy at this point had no idea to the trouble he was in. Why did the other girl who saw him on the line not just buddy up with him ? And he was not trying to solo dive he was trying to get to the group. Also poop happens if you do not obey what your body is telling you.

The buddy is only as good as you.

Cheers
Derek

I'm new here and should probably keep quiet but I see a lot of blame casting here and that "it not my fault" stuff bothers me, what ever happened to personal responsibility. He was safely on the boat, he made the choice to go in solo. Don't get me wrong I feel badly for him and his family and I hope I learn something from his experiences but it all goes back to He made the choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom