Missing diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been in anything near a real emergency (1 drowning, but it wasn't me, and it was swimming without scuba gear). I have panicked - several times, all while removing my mask on purpose. I am training myself to get better. I have been lost due to low visibility and did not panic, and hope I'd react the same if lost due to current. As you said, we all hope everyone's reaction would be calm and deliberate if things are either borderline dangerous or a real life-or-death situation. Reading threads like this is going to do the opposite - make it more likely people panic.

@bvbellomo. You are wrong about thinking reading threads like this one is going to make it more likely people panic. Panic often occurs when people are not educated about what can happen when certain situations arise, do not think about those situations, and do not practice or give serious thought as to what options are possible. This is why military and professional pilots read everything they can about aircraft accident reports, practice emergency procedures in simulators, flight and oral evaluations, and discuss "what ifs" with other aviators while enjoying a beer at the end of the flight day or week. Knowledge is power! I do not believe you can find any experienced military pilot, especially ones that have successfully dealt with serious inflight emergencies, that would concur with your statement.

Reading threads like this is going to do the opposite - make it more likely people panic.
or perhaps provide them with knowledge they never had previously so they are now better prepared

@bvbellomo. You are wrong about thinking reading threads like this one is going to make it more likely people panic. Panic often occurs when people are not educated about what can happen when certain situations arise, do not think about those situations, and do not practice or give serious thought as to what options are possible.

Sure, but what you're talking about is dealing with actual issues. What he's talking about is inexperienced divers misinterpreting normal as an issue, much like a first-time flier might hit mild turbulence and think the aircraft is in trouble.

In general, I would suggest ignoring anything you "heard somewhere". I do. Maybe we've expanded the discussion beyond Cozumel but I've never seen this in Coz.

The best thing is to discuss it with the dive op you plan to use. Second hand stories are not reliable, and rules can change, so a first hand story may no longer be accurate. At one time one didn't need a c-card at all, times change.

I think all of you scared of these evil Cozumel downcurrents, should avoid Cozumel altogether.

Me, I'll continue to risk my life every year and dive there.

I sure hope PADI comes up with an Evil Cozumel Downcurrent Specialty certification soon

@nwflyboy @WillAlter - thanks for sharing your experiences.

Any idea if Jeremy is still a DM in cozumel?
@BLee88 - Jeremy's dive op is called Living Underwater.

Disclaimer: It's been a few years since I was last there (I haven't been diving since the pandemic blew up, we are going for our first post-COVID dives next month - to Honduras, not Coz this time).

I've gone diving with Jeremy and Living Underwater on 5 or 6 trips. Early on, he was on the boat as a DM every day. Last couple times, he had stepped back a bit from that, was still on the boats often but not every day. Last time I was there, he was on the boat occasionally, and was our DM one day out of the week we were diving with them. Other DMs on his boat were also very good. He runs a great boutique operation.

Next time we go to Cozumel, we will dive with Living Underwater again, and hope we get to dive with Jeremy as often as he's willing to get in the water with us. He's great at spotting things.

My takeaway from that account is to a) not panic, b) not dump weights or fill BC, and c) swim out from the wall until I get out of the flow.

A group of friends I used to hang with a lot kept what we called "The Little Yellow Book of Profound Revelations". One entry I remember well was "just because it never happened doesn't mean it's not true".
DM with us yesterday told about being away from the wall and pulled to 260.

I think all of you scared of these evil Cozumel downcurrents, should avoid Cozumel altogether.
How about shut up while we share knowledge on how to survive one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom