Missing Luggage from Coz!!!! CO1204

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phxcamera

Reaction score
Howdy All,

Just got back from Coz. Wonderful Diving!!! I will post our adventures in the next couple of days, although a special thanks to Joewr for his info. The French Quarter is good food, and Mike sezs Hi!!!

Unfortunately, I think somebody picked up one of our gear bags at the airport in Houston. The flight we were on was Continental 1204, on Wednesday 7/18. In the off-chance that the person who accidentally grabbed a blue, L.L. Bean duffel bag sees this, I'd sure appreciate an email so we can work out the specifics of an exchange. It had a custom dive suit for my wife in it!!!

Thanks All, and look for our adventures in the next couple of days!!!

phxcamera,

You mentioned you were going to "post our adventures" from your Coz trip, did you want to place them into a full article?

=-)

phxcamera,

Continental is responsible for your luggage--even if "someone else" picked it up "by mistake". File a claim with them--and with your insurance company if your homeowners covers that kind of loss.

Continental "lost" our bags on a trip to the Bahamas a couple of years ago and, after about two months, we got reimbursed for what we "lost". They will ask for receipts for pricey items like custom wet suits--and they might try to depreciate something that is 2-3 years old. But, we basically got enough money back to replace what was "lost". What was strange was that we had two luggage tags on the piece and our name and address on the inside.

What was even stranger was going to the unclaimed luggage room in Nassau. There we saw some bags that had been sitting in that room for 2 years! Some had tags that indicted the destination was New York or St. Louis! Some had ident tags on them that clearly identified the owner. Continental told us that after a bag is unclaimed for two weeks, they send it to a central clearing house in Houston. Apparently the folks in Nassau don't know that! And they, apparently, don't know how to decipher a name tag! And, I suspect, Nassau is not the only place where that is true!

Joewr

Howdy All,

Just a quick note to tell you the bags did finally show up. Guess I got caught by the Mexican Siesta one last time. It was delivered to the house a few days after the flight. For those of us who've seen the Cozumel airport, I still find it tough to figure out a way that they forgot to put our bag on the (only) flight State-side that day....

I still need to post our adventures. Unfortunately, work doesn't seem to go on vacation when I do....Its been catch-up for the last few weeks...:(

Thanks!

Just a side note, I met a bunch of divers this past week in CZM that experienced trouble on CO with bags... [most of them didnt get their bags upon arrival - so they had to rent gear for their first dives :eek:]

I have been following this thread with some interest as in February my husband and I are going to Playa del Carmen, to the Allegro Resort. We are flying into Cancun, having been there several years ago I remember the airport but not real well. I remember it to have been congested and hot. Anyway, I am concerned about my bags as we will have scuba gear. I guess it is just a gamble whether or not it makes it or not. I know I can't carry all of it on board so will have to check it. We have an Akona wheeled duffle bag. I went to Hawaii on Continental and there were no problems. I hope it works the same on this trip. Just call me nervous, I always carry my regulator, mask and camera in my carry on. The rest I guess I could handle without if need be.

Bottoms Up....Bubbles Up!!!

Cindy

Yes, every single airline out there loses, misplaces or delays luggage. For every report we hear of lost luggage, (and we only hear about the lost/delayed stuff), there are thousands of travelers who have no problems at all. Not ot make light of pxcamera's experience but sh*t happens when you travel, it's one of the chances you take.

Take the normal precautions when traveling with scuba gear and don't let worry cloud your vacation!

1. Pack regs/computer, mask, medications, swimsuit and a changing of clothes (and any other "can't be replaced or rented' items) in your carry-on

2. Pack you other gear and clothing in a seperate bag and secure it with a lock..combination locks are best. Be sure to put shampoo and such is seperate zip-lock bags in case of leakage.

3. Make damn sure you don't go over the weight limit. Continental is two 70lb bags per person checked luggage. But also consider any connecting flights...they may have a different weight limit. Overweighted bags are shuffled off to the next available flight to your destination that can handle the load.

Have a great trip!

Seaangel,

You guys are doing it as well as it can be done! But with your regs, masks and camera you can still have a great time if the A/L misplaces your luggage. We do the same--along with a change of underwear and a few toiletries. Makes the carry-on a little hefty, but also makes the probability of a fun vacation more certain.

By the way, late last year the Cancun A/P was being remodeled--a few things may have moved around since you were there last.

Have a great trip and let us know all about it!

Joewr

Seaangel, I have made 15 dive trips on 10 years, so far, I have yet to (knock on wood) lose any luggage. I knows lot of folks who have never lost any luggage as well, but I have heard the stories like all of us have.

I will add a couple of pointers to what Dee had to say ....

1): Remove any prior destination tags on your luggage if you have any on there. That is sometimes how bags end up in the wrong destination.

2): When you carry on your reg, be ready to answer questions about it. Most airport personnel know what they are and what they look like but sometimes, but you will get someone who has to make sure. Most of the time, you are on your way within minutes, but I was questioned pretty good about it going through Miami the Saturday after Flight 800 went down in '96. However, under the circumstances, it was understandable.

Have a good trip and please let us know how it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom