Mission Accomplished: Complete Dive Kit In Single Carry On Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After my first couple of dive trips a few years ago I began dreaming of the perfect low profile, stealth diving kit that is functional in most environments that I could also fit into a single carry on bag. While planning a recent trip to Mexico my girlfriend announced that she would only be bringing carry on bags. As you can imagine I was highly impressed with her ability to forgo checking any bags for a week long international trip and so I figured this would be the perfect time to make my dream a reality. Enter exhibit A:

full.jpg

I settled on this 22" carry on hard shell spinner from Samsonite. While this particular luggage is about an inch larger than American Airlines carry on dimensions it still fit in the carry on bag sizer and was absolutely no problem on any of my flights, in fact mine was much smaller than most of the other travelers. As you can see my fins had to be bungied on the outside of the bag however they stayed tightly in place while travelling and were super simple to quickly remove in the event I needed to arrange them differently in the overhead container.

full.jpg

Here is a shot of the bag opened and fully packed. As you can see there is even room left to fit a few more small things.

full.jpg

Here is a breakout shot of all of the components that I fit in the bag. Even with this complete dive rig there was still room to shove sandals, a towel, underwear or even a dive bag in there no problem. I used a 5mm wetsuit with this setup but I would imagine you could find success with just about any type of exposure suit. Getting everything to fit was really all about being smart with the space provided.

Two of our flights were packed and the airlines were pleading with folks to check bags at the gate however they looked directly at my luggage and did not ask me to check it like they did to a few others. It fit nicely in the overhead container with plenty of room on all sides (even with the fins). If for whatever reason in the future I do have to check it at the gate at least it is hard shell and will protect everything.

Security leaving the US did open the case to take a look (you know how they do with scuba) and it was no problem at all. I could tear apart and pack this bag again in less than 5 minutes if I had to. Very easy to keep organized and TSA enjoyed being able to clearly see everything.

I bought this bag for $80 and it has already paid for itself on this trip alone (2 X $25 for checked bag fees plus $35 for gear rental). I'm very happy with how it turned out, it makes travelling to/from your dive destination that much easier with increased peace of mind.

I have always fit all my gear into an Ogio rollaboard bag - except my fins and cutting devices. I have thought of strapping my fins to the outside of the bag. Mine are freediving fins, so I could probably actually remove the blades, fit the foot pockets inside the bag and strap the blades on the outside quite easily. But then there's the Eezycut and trauma shears. Besides, I almost always fly where I get 1 free checked bag. I don't mind checking my fins and cutting devices, along with clothes and other stuff that is really non-essential on a fly-to-dive trip. :)

How did you pack clothes etc for your trip? A backpack or a personal bag?

How did you pack clothes etc for your trip? A backpack or a personal bag?
I packed my laptop, GoPro kit, toiletries and clothes in my backpack which is the Rush 24 from 511 which fit under the seat in front of me nicely even though it was packed full. On the return trip I put my dirty clothes in with the dive gear which gave me a bit more room in the backpack.

Where are your clothes, personal items, camera, electronics, all in a backpack that fits under the seat? They don't count the fins as your 2nd personal item? After having lived in Switzerland for 2 years, I don't think this would generally fly, so to speak, at least in Europe. Among other things, an increasing number of airlines are using the IATA standard of 21.5 x 13.5 x 7.5 inches rather than 22 x 14 x 9. Those using the more generous size, generally, strictly enforce it, as well as the number of carry on items.

It will be interesting to see what kind of ongoing experience you have, best of luck

Edit, sorry, above post and reply came up while I was typing :)

@scubadada There was no issue with the fins being strapped to the side of the bag. Even with the fins attached my bag was smaller than most of what the others folks were bringing on board. You might be right about seeing different results in different locales however this setup won't work for all types of trips anyway, if I was going somewhere cold I likely wouldn't be able to fit a week's worth of clothes in one backpack. Although I could still carry on all of my scuba stuff I guess.

Last edited:
They don't count the fins as your 2nd personal item?

This.

You mean I can bungee whatever I want to my carry-on bag, and the airline will count it as part of that bag? That seems like a stretch. If fins somehow "didn't count," then sure, packing would be a whole lot simpler. That fins tend to be longer than carry-on bags and even many full-sized checked bags is why I have always checked a bag.

I just don't see how a 22" rollaboard, a daypack, and a pair of fins is going to pass muster as "one carry-on bag plus one personal item." Delta, for example, lists the following as Approved Personal Items":
  • 1 purse, briefcase, camera bag or diaper bag
  • or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked)
  • or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above

This.

You mean I can bungee whatever I want to my carry-on bag, and the airline will count it as part of that bag? That seems like a stretch. If fins somehow "didn't count," then sure, packing would be a whole lot simpler. That fins tend to be longer than carry-on bags and even many full-sized checked bags is why I have always checked a bag.

I just don't see how a 22" rollaboard, a daypack, and a pair of fins is going to pass muster as "one carry-on bag plus one personal item." Delta, for example, lists the following as Approved Personal Items":
  • 1 purse, briefcase, camera bag or diaper bag
  • or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked)
  • or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above
I don't know how long it will last but Delta is pretty generous in carry ons allowed, at least with my Bonaire and Cozumel trips. Eric and I push the boundry with my Osprey and his Kelty backpacks and a second standard day backpack as our personal item. I also often carry a plastic grocery bag with snacks and sandwiches. Plan to try it as a small softsided cooler next trip.

You mean I can bungee whatever I want to my carry-on bag, and the airline will count it as part of that bag? That seems like a stretch.

I never made that claim, I can only speak to my own experience.

I just don't see how a 22" rollaboard, a daypack, and a pair of fins is going to pass muster as "one carry-on bag plus one personal item."

I'm sorry you can't "see" how this would pass as an acceptable carry on but for all four flights of my last trip it worked well, again I can only speak to my own experience.

Not sure how much air travel you do but as most travelers know the carry on limits are often stretched by most passengers. I often see folks with 3 bags (parents etc) or bags that are far larger than the posted restrictions. It is certainly not advisable to assume the airlines will allow you to skirt the rules just because others are doing it but at the same time airlines have always been a bit more lax on the rules than what is posted in the fine print.

Back
Top Bottom