Mission Accomplished: Complete Dive Kit In Single Carry On Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the ladies they should just get these.

footwear_designs_05.jpg

I started pushing the limit after witnessing others basically ignoring them. But in my defense I will say that our back packs easily fit in the overhead, much easier than any of the roller bags. In fact it is the rigid stays that put the bags at the edge so both Eric and I plan to just remove them if it ever becomes an issue.

There's usually also a plastic plate that's somewhat flexible -- provided it has room to flex.

I flew to CR and back 2 weeks ago with yukon odyssey 45+10: the "45" fits all my diving gear including accels, and although it has a couple of inches on the 22-inch "standard", it fits in the bins just fine. The "10" detaches and goes under the seat with the 10" laptop, batteries, dive computer, and the rest of that stuff. I don't have regs, but there's enough slack in either backpack to fit them easily as well.

There's usually also a plastic plate that's somewhat flexible -- provided it has room to flex.

I flew to CR and back 2 weeks ago with yukon odyssey 45+10: the "45" fits all my diving gear including accels, and although it has a couple of inches on the 22-inch "standard", it fits in the bins just fine. The "10" detaches and goes under the seat with the 10" laptop, batteries, dive computer, and the rest of that stuff. I don't have regs, but there's enough slack in either backpack to fit them easily as well.
Took a look at yours. Nice pack. Mine is the Osprey Farpoint 55 and it has a detachable daypack as well but I have never used it detached. In fact, I wish it wasn't detachable. The extra straps just add bulk although you could look at it as extra padding.

As long as one's carry-on fits in each passangers allotted space I don't see an issue.

Last edited:
As long as one's carry-on fits in each passangers allotted space I don't see an issue.
There's the rub. There is no such thing as allotted space. It is first come first served. The only space you are guaranteed is your foot well under the seat in front of you. This may not exist on a bulkhead row.

We have often witnessed the last few boarding passengers being forced to check their "big" carryon since there was no overhead space left on the plane.

Took a look at yours. Nice pack. Mine is the Osprey Farpoint 55 and it has a detachable daypack as well but I have never used it detached. In fact, I wish it wasn't detachable. The extra straps just add bulk although you could look at it as extra padding.

Do you check a bag, or try to carry on?

There's the rub. There is no such thing as allotted space. It is first come first served. The only space you are guaranteed is your foot well under the seat in front of you. This may not exist on a bulkhead row.

We have often witnessed the last few boarding passengers being forced to check their "big" carryon since there was no overhead space left on the plane.
By allotted space I mean one carry-on that "traditionally" must be small enough to fit length first into the overhead and a personal item that first under the seat in front at your feet. My issue is with those that try to place more then one item in the overhead or have to fit an item across the overhead space taking up someone else's room.

Do you check a bag, or try to carry on?
One checked bag plus my carry-on. My packs are rarely full since I tend to carry weight instead of bulk.

By allotted space I mean one carry-on that "traditionally" must be small enough to fit length first into the overhead and a personal item that first under the seat in front at your feet. My issue is with those that try to place more then one item in the overhead or have to fit an item across the overhead space taking up someone else's room.
As per my previous question, do you check a bag or try to carry on???

Sorry I missed your follow up post...

The way it sits on mine, it wouldn't actually fit all that well in the bin with it attached.

I have a suspicion that for every 5 seats there's one bin that fits 4 "standard" rollaboards. At least on some planes -- and then of course there's embraers on local hops where the bins are too small for anything larger than a fannypack. And that "allotted space" was a nice theory back when the checked bag was free and the overhead bins were intended for what now is called "personal item", plus a few business overnighters and a weirdo backpacker or two. Not anymore.

In a single aisle plane with 3 seats per side (like Airbus 320) there is not enough room for 3 bags to fit in the overhead for each row. Not everyone gets their share of the overhead space.

On my last few flights the gate staff have been very aggressive at getting people to proactively gate check bags since they know there will not be enough room. Lots of people ignore this and let the suckers volunteer. On my last flight it was comical to see the last minute passenger scramble as the gate staff announced the flight had no skycheck facility. The flight was full (with lots of standbys still waiting).

Back
Top Bottom