Mission Accomplished: Complete Dive Kit In Single Carry On Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But that SS back plates can fly in cabins does surprise me. Positively. Just don't believe everywhere...
I never count on anything but so far my SS Freedom Plate has made it uncontested as carry-on to and from Bonaire, Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

But that SS back plates can fly in cabins does surprise me. Positively. Just don't believe everywhere...

Shhh, they might hear you and get ideas.

We had my better half's clip-on weights confiscated coming back from LIR. Took 3 helpful agents and a shift supervisor 5 minutes to reach a decision.

Should've put 'em in the checked bag, but it was full of coffee...

Shhh, they might hear you and get ideas.

We had my better half's clip-on weights confiscated coming back from LIR. Took 3 helpful agents and a shift supervisor 5 minutes to reach a decision.

Should've put 'em in the checked bag, but it was full of coffee...

Made me smile.
On my first dive trip ever to Bonaire a bit over a year ago, I brought two 1 lbs ankle weights. Don't ask me why. My son and I never dove together, only just each had our OW dives and went adventuring. No idea how we would trim out. I had them easily accessible in one of the two the checked bags that were limited to 40lbs each in case the scale at home was off. I did not need to. But I would have put them on the ankles if there would have been weight trouble. Medically necessary wobbly stance stabilizers anyone?

I never count on anything but so far my SS Freedom Plate has made it uncontested as carry-on to and from Bonaire, Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

Have you converted it into a backpack as some have done? I would really like to see a commercially available version of a backplate backpack. I think it would sell well.

Have you converted it into a backpack as some have done? I would really like to see a commercially available version of a backplate backpack. I think it would sell well.
:) No but if they ever do ban my current backpack I would consider it.

How did you pack clothes etc for your trip? A backpack or a personal bag?

F..K that who needs it for diving tropical waters, just go rambo at night.:wink:

Sun rash guards, surf trunks and flip-flops do miracles

Last edited:

To the 12 SB'ers who travel with their BP&W's?

Try pulling out the stays and plastic backplate out of a backpack and sticking the BP in their place. If it fits, cut holes for cambands and call it mission accomplished.

ScubaDoo83,
Thanks for posting your experience on this. It is sad that we have all figure out ways to save money when traveling since the airlines started charging for checked baggage in 2008.

F..K that who needs it for diving tropical waters, just go rambo at night.:wink:

Yes, the 3-piece bathing suit: the hat, the shades, and the flip-flops.

Won't fly with some ops

"I understand that upon all our dive boats – there will be no NUDITY"

I still haven't heard the story behind this line in their policy.

I have switch to sports clothing plus swim suits almost exclusively on tropical trips. Takes up no room, almost weightless and hand wash-drip dry if I get desperate.

Back
Top Bottom