Mission Accomplished: Complete Dive Kit In Single Carry On Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd have to get shorter fins to be able to go carryon with dive gear. I have a Samsonite hard sided spinner case, but it's a 20", not the 22" the OP has.

Interesting post - I might explore this option later for year. I'm headed to dive Raja Ampat in October and am flying San Francisco to either Narita or Singapore then to Jakarta. I travel frequently and have only had delayed luggage once (misrouted, delivered the next morning) in my 30 some years of travel. I arrive at midnight (assuming all is well and on time) and have a 5:30 AM flight to Sorong. I'm starting to get nervous about delayed or missing bags, especially with a stopover en route to Jakarta so I am seriously considering having all my dive gear be carry-on. While I will have dive travel insurance that will cover missing/delayed baggage and rental equipment needed, that is not ideal and I'd like to preempt that possibility.

Thanks for sharing!

I'd have to get shorter fins to be able to go carryon with dive gear. I have a Samsonite hard sided spinner case, but it's a 20", not the 22" the OP has.

That was my thinking when I bought a pair of Hollis F2s. Short "travel fins." But after struggling in current in Cozumel, I decided they are not powerful enough for that.

@Lorenzoid I recently switched to Atomic splits. My knees are so much happier. The small ones I have for pool work/diving wet (yes, I actually broke down and bought a wetsuit when I found one that actually fit!) are 23.5" long. I'm not sure they'd fit in the big hard sided suitcase I have.

I was curious enough to see how much I could get in my 20" spinner. Wetsuit and soft reg case took up the entire bottom. Forget about BP/W, and everything else. A rolling duffle of some sort I checked would be much simpler and then I wouldn't have to worry about a roller bag AND a personal item going through security/at the airport.

@Lorenzoid ...Wetsuit and soft reg case took up the entire bottom. Forget about BP/W, and everything else...
Did you consider trying it without the reg case? Regs are pretty tough. The only thing I ever worry about is my mask.

@giffenk that's an idea, but really wouldn't add that much extra room. A couple of years ago I travelled with a checked bag for the first time in many years (I was flying with a handgun). Aside from the wait at CLT to get my bag upon arrival, it was a wonderfully freeing experience. When I do fly to dive, I'll check a bag. There's no way I can bring all my gear otherwise.

@giffenk that's an idea, but really wouldn't add that much extra room. A couple of years ago I travelled with a checked bag for the first time in many years (I was flying with a handgun). Aside from the wait at CLT to get my bag upon arrival, it was a wonderfully freeing experience. When I do fly to dive, I'll check a bag. There's no way I can bring all my gear otherwise.
agreed. i always check bags as my camera gear fills my carry ons.

I got everything BUT my fins in my carry-on bag. It is right at 15lbs.. Fins went in my check bag.

Back
Top Bottom