Mission Accomplished: Complete Dive Kit In Single Carry On Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a late comer and haven't read all posts, I'll just add that there probably isn't one baggage solution that fits every situation--mainly because airlines in one country, let alone worldwide, don't all have the same rules. Heck, up until 2015 there was NO charge for at least your first checked bag (possibly two, I don't know) in Canada. Now you pay for the first one and any extra bags, like most airlines in the U.S., I think. In 2011 I flew from Canada to Panama with a touch down at Newark in the U.S. About a couple of weeks later my wife flew the same airline from Canada to Chicago. My checked bag was free, but she had to pay because her destination, though much closer, was in the U.S. Can't recall if it was United or Air Canada, but doesn't matter--rules vary, in this case even within the same airline.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. No way I could make that happen.

I have a regular BCD, long fins, and travel with spares of a few things.

I also have a normal sized carry-on, don't strap anything to the outside, and like having a change of clothes for a week away.

A criticism: oversized carry-ons are a problem. Overhead storage space is already tight, and with an oversized bag, you are infringing on the space of other passengers.

People are trying to subvert baggage fees with carry-ons. Everyone knows this. I would not be surprised, considering the trends in airline policies, if they start clamping down on this.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. No way I could make that happen.

I have a regular BCD, long fins, and travel with spares of a few things.

I also have a normal sized carry-on, don't strap anything to the outside, and like having a change of clothes for a week away.

A criticism: oversized carry-ons are a problem. Overhead storage space is already tight, and with an oversized bag, you are infringing on the space of other passengers.

People are trying to subvert baggage fees with carry-ons. Everyone knows this. I would not be surprised, considering the trends in airline policies, if they start clamping down on this.

I fit all my dive gear except fins and cutting devices inside a standard carry-on bag and a personal item bag that will fit under the seat in front of me. I put fins and cutting devices in a checked bag along with my clothes. I would much rather arrive and have to buy a shirt, shorts, some skivvies, and a few toiletries than be missing any of my dive gear.

I fit all my dive gear except fins and cutting devices inside a standard carry-on bag and a personal item bag that will fit under the seat in front of me. I put fins and cutting devices in a checked bag along with my clothes. I would much rather arrive and have to buy a shirt, shorts, some skivvies, and a few toiletries than be missing any of my dive gear.

That's pretty much my scenario as well. Fins, Boots, BCD, Wetsuit and clothing, etc. in a checked bag. Computers, Regs, Camera/Lights, Mask, etc. in a small carry-on. A backpack with some snacks, a book or two, and IPOD/Headphones.

Out of curiosity I tried packing pretty much my entire kit in my backpack. Empty the rigid frame is 22.5 inches long. Filled it was 24 x 14 x 13 and weighs in at 27 lbs. Except for the frame and the fins, all the gear is somewhat moldable and the one section can be unzipped and separated if needed. Here are the steps I took to fit it all into pack. Keep in mind too that sizes are mostly small and I dissembled the BPW. Also this is not the way I pack but an exercise just to see if I could make it fit.

First in was the wing then fins on top with mask in one foot pocket. I did not use them but there was room for small incidentals in the other foot pocket and boots. Next I placed the bp with harness up (light still attached) and folded it into available spaces. I also left the trilobite sleeve on but removed the blade. Boots next to plate and SMB/reel next to that. I placed inflater in the boot and curved the tube into available space. This filled the main compartment.

In the other section I layered first my reg set, then wetsuit to protect, then cambands and computer in its own small case. Doable but does put it just outside the limits on size.

Attachments

• IMG_3564.JPG
    IMG_3564.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3575.JPG
    IMG_3575.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2347.JPG
    IMG_2347.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2345.JPG
    IMG_2345.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Beyond quibbling about the universal application of this well thought out kit, I like to see ideas that have worked. Sure feels good not to risk checking your gear doesn't it!

Some of my worse ideas for carrying on dive gear was wearing a bcd as a vest, a laptop bag full of regs and a wetsuit as a jacket when I was carrying a tent and camping gear along too.

I've since moved to a msr bag sidemount rig and everything (minus weights) is comfortable in my carry on along with a dslr and housing.

I've seen people with smaller carry on forced to check bags right before me but so far being friendly and making it look light has got me past even though I'm on the limits of carry on allowances.

Regards,
Cameron

I will be impressed if anyone can pack his/her full kit[bc, fins, mask, reg and thermal protection(optional)] within 7kg and size limit.

I will be impressed if anyone can pack his/her full kit[bc, fins, mask, reg and thermal protection(optional)] within 7kg and size limit.
Here is all the same gear including wetsuit (but not the reel since you didn't mention that and it was 2 lbs) in the duffle I mentioned earlier. I have traveled with pretty much this same kit once on a commuter plane. But still weighs in at 10 kg. To get to 7 I would need a kydex or aluminum plate. And maybe lighter boots. Mine have the thicker sole. And I could wear my computers. :D

Its 23 x 13 x 7 which is under the 45 linear inches that Delta requires.

Attachments

• IMG_2351.JPG
    IMG_2351.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
@uncfnp "And I could wear my computers. :D"

Don't turn them on.. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom