Question Mix & match bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

River69

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, I'm thinking to get my own backplate (donut) bcd system for single tank but I don't like to buy a full set. I've an idea to mix and match the wing, harness and backplate.
Anyone does this mind to share your set up and the reason of recommendation?
Thanks for sharing!

SS plate, 30 lb wing, and single piece harness. Pick whatever brands you like. (if you decide not to use an STA, make sure the webbing slots in the wing and the plate line up.)

FrankenBCs are all the rage. As long as the bolts and cam slots agree, you're good to go. My cam slots were a bit off, so I did a bit of sewing and it's good to go.

SS Hollis BP, 34# Apeks Wing and a homemade DIY harness. Build it so that you like it.
Like the Chairman says: if the bolts and slots agree, it's all good!

What kind of diving will you be doing? The wing is the most expensive part, so you want to get that right. If it's all warm water, then you only need 16-20 pounds of lift (8-9L). If you'll be using it with a 5mm-7mm wetsuit or drysuit, then 30-35lbs (14-16L). Also if it's cold water, you might want to consider an STA to add more weight.

I just noticed you are in Singapore. Since you'll likely be flying to warm water locations, you'll probably want a small wing, an aluminum plate and no STA.

As far as my setup, my plate and wing aren't currently available so I won't bother to list them. My harness came as a kit from a US online seller. I doubt you'd want to pay for shipping, but you can take a look and see what you actually need to put together your own harness.

Add a pair of cam bands (aka tank straps) and, if you don't want to use a weight belt, some cheap trim pockets for the cam bands and/or waistband and you are done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom