Question Single Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xdeep Zeos in europe is 440€ for a standard dir set.

Completely fine and good set if you ask me. Same as any other possible BPW. IMHO ive seen both the tecline and the xdeep zeos. And tecline is lower quality. And made in asia if that matters to you.

DiveSystems is 480€, also a high quality set made in Italy.

1)DGX S1 Wing

My daughters both have DGX wings and like them.

A fact to consider is that DGX changes suppliers and designs from time to time. You get what you get, and it may not be the same thing at all as what was sold as the same product 12 months ago.

Thank you for you advices! I bought the DTD 17 ring(37lbs). I haven’t test it yet but it seems great. I bought the 17kg lift because of the usage of 18lt tank and no surprise if it going to have a taco effect. If you are sure for your lift, the smaller 14 ring(30.8lbs) it’s going to be more streamline as the shape of DTD seems more narrow than other wings. Here some pics if they can be of a help to someone in the future:

Attachments

• IMG_9810.jpeg
    IMG_9810.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_9813.jpeg
    IMG_9813.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9815.jpeg
    IMG_9815.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9817.jpeg
    IMG_9817.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9818.jpeg
    IMG_9818.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 59
Do you know what is the purpose of the red “glue” on the inflator?

Attachments

• IMG_9774.jpeg
    IMG_9774.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9773.jpeg
    IMG_9773.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 62
It is a seal to show you haven't unscrewed, it has loosened

I am really happy that you bought a bigger one, wing man

Because I am newbie, could you tell me which part of my wing will need a replacement more often?
I am looking forward to work in the fish farms as a diver and I want a durable wing.
DTD has for Cover: Cordura 2000 denier and Inner layer:Cordura 560.
But I am not sure if I have to look for a better profile(Apeks) or a cheaper and more durable wing(DTD and maybe tecline).
The most likely thing to happen to a wing that would require replacement is probably a pitch flat occurring during travel. You could feasibly break the elbow where the inflator hose attaches. That might be second in likelyhood. That being said, I have never had to replace any part in any of my wings in almost 20 years. I’ve had to clean some salt crystals out and flush the inflator valve good though. One of my wings had gone so long between dives that the gasket at the dump valve was a little sticky. Running water through it fixed it right up though.

These things are super simple. Not really much to mess up.

So if a pitch flat is most likely, and you don't travel, and the likelyhood of feasibly breaking an elbow
unless you drive over it with a steamroller, feasibly the likelyhood is that you will not damage it at all

The most likely thing to happen to a wing that would require replacement is probably a pitch flat occurring during travel. You could feasibly break the elbow where the inflator hose attaches. That might be second in likelyhood. That being said,

These things are super simple. Not really much to mess up.

I’ve never damaged one of mine is all I’m saying, and I travel regularly. The sizes of the elbows and butt dumps are pretty standard so basing your decision off of being able to buy parts in the future is debatable. The only thing that is closely related to specific parts replacement would be a new bladder since it would have to fit the wing shape pretty exactly. If you have a pinch flat (I know I typed “pitch flat“ earlier) on a trip, for instance, you can temporarily repair it with some duct tape or gorilla tape and order a new bladder or even a complete new wing when you get home. For that matter, I have a friend whose duct tape repair is going on its third season. I really need to speak with him about that I guess.

There may still be some old timers around that can tell you about diving without any buoyancy compensation device at all, just a backpack with some webbing. In fact, you may be one of those guys.

The sizes of the elbows and butt dumps are pretty standard so basing your decision off of being able to buy parts in the future is debatable. The only thing that is closely related to specific parts replacement would be a new bladder since it would have to fit the wing shape pretty exactly.
This is not entirely true. Usually the US brands use standard components, but not always. For example, Halcyon has changed the threads and I think OMS did so also. The European brands. Apeks, Mares, and the OP's DTD use proprietary fittings.

For the bladders sometimes you can mix manufacturers. Many wings copied halcyon so you can mix and match bladders and covers. I would also assume you could the same with the narrow Oxycheq inspired wings. Usually the bladder is much larger than the cover so you have some wiggle room lining up the inflator and OPV openings. Check out this video and see how large the bladder is compared to the wing. Also Mares is a narrow wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom