Mixed messages: is it eco tourism, or marketing slash and burn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
(I had to struggle as to whether I would post this showing the magazine publication’s name and also the precise resort name in question, but it has no context otherwise. They were both openly putting this out there- did they simply not get it?)

IMG_9495.jpeg

It’s the brown water.

The terrestrial development (moving dirt) of what were recently pristine island environments is absolutely contributing to the degradation of reef structures and coral health. It is far and away the primary cause.

I’m not talking about anything other than run-off and siltation caused by the disruption of the earth- but combine it also with the rampant removal of the mangroves,

There are NO mangroves remaining, there is loose dirt lying in front of the cabanas- look at the picture!

The mangroves filter the rainwater run-off from the land…dirt… in this case, this “award-winning” newly built-up property’s “advertorial” features a photograph that depicts the obvious dirt and silt out flow from water run-off that is already destroying the reef that is featured as an attraction.

I first set foot on Marble Hill Farms in 1984- it was then owned by North American lady named Lisa. She was a veritable earth-mother hippie lady who made jars of jams and jellies from her garden- and all sorts of good things, and she touched the land gently. I understand the inexorable roll of development and progress, but now this heavy ham-handed desecration that has impact far beyond the lot line boundary.

It’s not just this resort, it’s not just this island, it’s the way we do things as a species… slash and burn.

Hi @Doc

Yes, this is how we do things. I was intrigued by the description and asked some questions via email. Their dive packages offer just 2 AM boat dives per day, additional dives are extra. I thought there was shore diving off their pier, that is not the case.

The environmental damage done by the construction of this resort is difficult to determine by an outsider. I would imagine that previous construction, including Coco View caused similar damage.

My wife and I had a nice trip to Turquoise Bay in 2017, I look forward to seeing reviews of Marble Hill before I would consider visiting there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom