Mixing strobe arms brands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hidroj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hy!
I've got a Ikelite strobe arm system (with the 1" diameter ball arms for a DS-125), and was actually thinking to upgrade to longer arms for a WA Setup. I could change the whole arm system (was thinking about ULCS Bouyancy arms), but that would mean something around 500 bucks! That's the reason I'm interested to know if maybe byuing only two arms and two clamps, I could extend the range of my strobes.

And now the question:
Which strobe arms are mixable? Has anybody made some tests with real experience?

As much as I've been looking around:

- Ikelite clamps and arms don't work with Sea&Sea arms (cause of arms ball diameter, Sea&Sea's are a little bigger, seems as they would be 1.25" balls)
- Seacam arms ball diameter is very close to Ikelite's, but they are not the same. Ikelite's are slightly bigger, just enough to allow the Ikelite clamp to fix firmly the Ikelite arm but the Seacam one still goes on moving.
- Aquatica/TLC's arm balls look exactly like Ikelite's, but when you close the clamp, the Ikelite arm gets totally fixed but the finishing of TLC's ball system allows them to go on moving (the TLC balls look smoother, as if they polished them more).

Any experience out there?
Thank you very much!
:wink:
Jordi

I've got TLC connected to a Bonica tray with slightly smaller ends, not quite 1 inch, and I have to really crank on the clamp to get it not to move. I think if there is any disparity between the size or make-up (some ball-ends have orings, others don't) will mean a difference in performance. Sounds like you've experience what I just spoke of. With that said, I was going to have to pay $210 for the TLC base versus only $75 for the Bonica. At the time it was the limit of my budget. Overall, I've been happy with it but will one-day upgrade to the TLC base as well.

Why is 10bar clamps not recomended? Coz was thinking of getting 1. Let us know your views.

Why is 10bar clamps not recomended? Coz was thinking of getting 1. Let us know your views.

ce4jesus:
I've got TLC connected to a Bonica tray with slightly smaller ends, not quite 1 inch, and I have to really crank on the clamp to get it not to move. I think if there is any disparity between the size or make-up (some ball-ends have orings, others don't) will mean a difference in performance. Sounds like you've experience what I just spoke of. With that said, I was going to have to pay $210 for the TLC base versus only $75 for the Bonica. At the time it was the limit of my budget. Overall, I've been happy with it but will one-day upgrade to the TLC base as well.

I've had pretty good luck mixing and matching various vendors bits and pieces BUT always with SMALL strobes.

I've even make my own ball joint arms out of 1" ball knobs and 14/20 threaded rod that worked just fine. (ball knobs are the round balls you often see on the end of control levers for things like lathes or drill presses). Now making your own clamps is a bit harder :)

Now for bigger heavier strobes you might have issues.

KLW

I haven't found any issues with mixing different manufacturer arms and clamps as long as the joint sizes are compatible. I do prefer the ULCS clamps over the Ike clamps as I find they clamp down easier. The ULCS arms I have also have a rubber o-ring around the joints which help hold position better without slipping.

I haven't found any issues with mixing different manufacturer arms and clamps as long as the joint sizes are compatible. I do prefer the ULCS clamps over the Ike clamps as I find they clamp down easier. The ULCS arms I have also have a rubber o-ring around the joints which help hold position better without slipping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom