Mixing strobe arms brands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have undersized balls (LOL) on your arm, you could apply heat shrink tubing over them. This would increase the diameter slightly and provide more grip for the clamping device.

The downside is that the tubing would have to be replaced periodically and that it could limit the range of arm.

jabberjaw:
Why is 10bar clamps not recomended? Coz was thinking of getting 1. Let us know your views.

Try the ULCS clamps with ULCS arms/10bar arms, then try the 10bar clamps with ULCS arms/10bar arms, try to lock the arms tight with the clams and you will see why.

Why don't you try it and tell us what you find out? :)

kerryw:
I've had pretty good luck mixing and matching various vendors bits and pieces BUT always with SMALL strobes.

I've even make my own ball joint arms out of 1" ball knobs and 14/20 threaded rod that worked just fine. (ball knobs are the round balls you often see on the end of control levers for things like lathes or drill presses). Now making your own clamps is a bit harder :)

Now for bigger heavier strobes you might have issues.

KLW

"...making your own clamps is a bit harder..."
that's the exact stmt...
A lot of clamps look alike but when it comes to function...
that's why I recommended ULCS
I still think that many manufacturers are capable of making good clamps, just, if they are willing to go for that extra mile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom