Mk19 + d420 whistling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so... a little update for the inquiring minds.
I received the set back from SP. The D420 was found to be free flowing because of some sand in it. This is somewhat strange because it was free flowing after being bench tested. But it is entirely possible because, if I remember correctly, the morning before I put it on the bench I performed some rescue practice on the beach. It could be that some sand was inside it and it did not affect the regulator while on the bench, and then it created problems during the subsequent dive.
I have to say that this rig, problems aside, breathes phenomenally well.
Now about the whistling... that did not go away. At this point I will likely receive a replacement unit but we did do some more investigation to replicate the issue in a more consistent way.
The whistling shows up at about 20 ft and goes away at about 30-35 ft. There is an interesting histeresis phenomenon in the sense that it whistles on the way down, but not on the way up.
Unfortunately my #1 spot for shore dives here locally in Aguadilla, PR is a collapsed military pier where you spend the entire dive between 20 and 30 ft so the whistling gets really annoying.
From what I understand this is highly unusual and people at SP have been scratching their head about it.
I am not sure if I will receive a report once it gets back to ScubaPro in LA (I doubt it) but if I do I'll make sure to share it here.

Happy diving!

So… I have a whistling mk19 as well

I had the suspicion already back in March when I was in Dahab — I was diving in sidemount but it only occurred once or twice (when I got below 30m/100ft) and I haven’t been deep often back in March so I couldn’t pin point it to which reg it was — with all the switching

I dive a g260/mk19 combo on both L&R tanks, I got the kit new back in January (they had about 30-40 dives so far)

I was back again in Dahab for my DP and mod1 (sidemount as well) in May, and then I went often below 30m (fairly) so I had more chances to calmly pin it down.

It wasn’t the g260s, since the BC inflator also triggered such a whistle/whine; during an (DiL) internal boom simulation I also had to switch my ADV to the left reg and that had the same effect.

The moment I go shallower than ~30m it calms down and breathes normally without the whine

No „misbehaving“ otherwise, breathing was a charm in all cases
(The g260s do meed to be tuned probably, because they freeflow like a mf the moment the touch water unless I dial the adjuster all the way in, submerging instantly solves it ofc— probably just the orifice just needs to seat well, but that’s something I can tune now)

I will send the left set to SP to inspect it (and kindly ask for a tested replacement)— even tho I’d rather know what’s up with it and I know they’ll not tell me

Take the Turret off and unscrew the HP Seat Carrier. Mark the spring position relative to the tank input with a Sharpie on the end of the spring. Remove spring and poppet and lube the shaft. Add Lube to the small oring on the balance chamber. Replace the poppet and spring, but rotate it 180° on the shaft of the poppet so a different aspect of the spring coil is facing the tank input.
Torque the HP seat carrier back to spec (44 in-lb) and replace the Turret.

Ta. Replace the poppet and spring, but rotate it 180° on the shaft of the poppet so a different aspect of the spring coil is facing the tank input.
Torque the HP seat carrier back to spec (44 in-lb) and replace the Turret.
do I have to mark/adhere to the orientation of the poppet with regard to the tank inlet as well?
Better phrasing: is it a matter of the poppet & seat or spring & poppet relative orientations?

I will have to dig out the schematics and rewatch reggeeks1 to imagine the mk19 internals 😅 before I touch it anyway

Just in time to keep the maintenance skills from dulling out tho 🙌🏽

The first time I received a "whistling" Scubapro MK11 diaphragm to service I thought they were messing with me since I have only seen this with piston regulators. I have now seen about 3 MK11's and one MK19 that had this issue. I an all cases it was resolved by insuring appropriate lube on o-ring in the balance chamber and on the HP Valve shaft.

do I have to mark/adhere to the orientation of the poppet with regard to the tank inlet as well?
Better phrasing: is it a matter of the poppet & seat or spring & poppet relative orientations?
It's a matter of spring position relative to tank inlet. Poppet rotation won't matter, tho' as @Sevenrider860 points out, lube is usually the key.
The tiny mark on the base of the spring lets you replace it in a new position relative to the tank inlet, tho' whether it keeps that when you screw down the HP seat carrier is anybody's guess. In any case, it's probably different from the previous position, and the spring coil that was vibrating in the high speed gas stream from the tank with each breath has now moved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom