Mk2/r295 with Mares viper octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tony387

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering if anyone had any experience running a Mares MV octo with the downstream piston of the mk2? I believe the IP is a little higher on the viper octo at 145, but not sure if that will make a difference. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

My very first regulator was a MK2/R190 with a viper octo. The octo was horrible; eventually I gave it away to a friend and felt guilty about doing so. I still have the MK2 and the R190, both work fine. Personally I would dump the viper, buy a used balanced 2nd stage like a G200B, you can probably get one reasonably, and then use the 295 as your alternate 2nd.

The IP on the MK2 will vary according to tank pressure, that's the situation with an unbalanced piston. If you set it to 145 with 3000 PSI, it will drop to close to 125 with a near-empty tank. I don't think the viper likes that much of an IP variance, at least mine didn't.

You're in Austin, if you have any interest in a decent SP 2nd stage let me know, I've got several that I rarely use.

MV octo sucks :) I liked no aspect of it. It was in a box for 4 years until I traded it in for an SP set. I would ditch it and replace like halocline said with a ised balanced second.
I have MK 2 as my single tank rig now and I have D400 as primary and converted 109 as a backup.

And if I were you I would jump on halocline's offer. I have one of his second stages and it works great.

MV octo sucks :) I liked no aspect of it. It was in a box for 4 years until I traded it in for an SP set. I would ditch it and replace like halocline said with a ised balanced second.
I have MK 2 as my single tank rig now and I have D400 as primary and converted 109 as a backup.

And if I were you I would jump on halocline's offer. I have one of his second stages and it works great.

Thanks for the advice....Halocline, I may be getting in touch after trying it out this weekend. I appreciate the offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom