MK5 / 109 end of life? :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... I will suggest your dive shop is simply unbelievably ignorant rather than suggest they might be scamming you...

That's one option. The other one I see is the lack of intelligence: package says "for MK5" so it goes to the Mk5; package says "for Mk10" and it for the Mk10 and nothing else. Guess they never cared to look at both packages side by side.

Like Master awap said, the only diff between the 2 kits is a single piston head o-ring: 017 for the Mk10, and 022 for the Mk5. Plus Trident sells an aftermarket seat, part #A-242 that works: it gives a low-ish but serviceable IP.

So you've got a lot of options here:
  • Educate your LDS
  • Send your rigs to VDH for service
  • Learn to DIY and buy the parts from VDH
  • Learn to DIY and make up your own kits

Sounds like a lot of fun!

So I've been looking into DIY regulator service and have decide it's something I'm completely capable of doing. Found some tools at VDH also. I've got lots of time to gather what I need and need to learn. The next time one of my regs need service I'll probably do it.

So I've been looking into DIY regulator service and have decide it's something I'm completely capable of doing. Found some tools at VDH also. I've got lots of time to gather what I need and need to learn. The next time one of my regs need service I'll probably do it.

Option 2: Don't wait until next time. Pony up another $50 and buy one ebay. Welcome to the dark side. You will need more storage area.

Option 2: Don't wait until next time. Pony up another $50 and buy one ebay. Welcome to the dark side. You will need more storage area.

If I had not just dropped $400.00+ at one LDS and also 4 tank VIPs at another I would, little tapped out right now. My AIR I pilot that my wife uses, needs to be replaced by a MK5 / 109 someday. This season she'll use the MK5 / 109 reg I use on my pony. I have a Sherwood Blizzard to mount on the pony when she and I dive together.

There's some what of a initial outlay of money there with tools and parts, also finding that people are asking more than $50.00 for those regs on Ebay these days.

Last edited:
If I had not just dropped $400.00+ at one LDS and also 4 tank VIPs at another I would, little tapped out right now. My AIR I pilot that my wife uses, needs to be replaced by a MK5 / 109 someday. This season she'll use the MK5 / 109 reg I use on my pony. I have a MARES Blizzard to mount on the pony when she and I dive together.

There's some what of a initial outlay of money there with tools and parts, also finding that people are asking more than $50.00 for those regs on Ebay these days.

Some folks are pretty proud of what they are offering. You just need to be patient and keep looking: Vintage Scubapro Octopus w Regulator 3000 PSI White Stag Meter No Reserve | eBay

Good Luck

I would suggest your first purchase be "Regulator Savvy" by Peter Wolfinger (ex design engineer at SP). Buy it now and study it until you understand what he is teaching you. Once you do, you will have no problems with reg repair....as for tools, drop me a PM if you need anything for the MK-5/10.

I would suggest your first purchase be "Regulator Savvy" by Peter Wolfinger (ex design engineer at SP). Buy it now and study it until you understand what he is teaching you. Once you do, you will have no problems with reg repair....as for tools, drop me a PM if you need anything for the MK-5/10.

I ordered it just this morning! Thanks for the offer on the tools, you'll be hearing from me.

AfterDark there are several threads on servicing your own MK5/109 in the DIY forum. Pretty much anything you want to know is discussed in there. They are VERY easy to service, require few special tools, and work great. Come on over the the Dark Side, oops, I mean DIY and check us out...

Thanks raftingtrigger, I've been going there for sometime now whenever I see MK5 MKV 109 in the title. I'll be doing a search one of these days.

Today I downloaded 6 files concerning the MK5 /109 from VDH so I've got some studing to do. Plus the Regulator Savvy book will be come soon. So I have an abundance of information to absorb.

I never bothered to learn as I've always had the same tech / LDS owner that does a flawless job on them. However it appears these days he maybe more interested in selling me 3 new top of the line SP regulators then servicing my old ones, so a diver has to do what a diver has to do to keep diving. Buying 3 new top of line regulators is NOT one of those things!

A couple of years ago I had the tech disassembly my 4th 109 in order to have it chromed. I haven't been able to find anyone to do it. So I assembled it. That was easy except for the exhaust tee. Just how powerful does one need to be to reattach that! I even soaked in hot water a lubed the opening!

Back
Top Bottom