Mmmm...Beer - Little Cayman Beach Resort & Cayman Brac Beach Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottsdaleSteve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been reading about how expensive everything is on Little Cayman and Cayman Brac due to everything coming in on barges. For those who have stayed recently, how much is a local beer at "Beach Nuts" (Little Cayman Beach Resort) and/or "Tipsy Turtle" (Cayman Brac Beach Resort)?

I've been reading about how expensive everything is on Little Cayman and Cayman Brac due to everything coming in on barges. For those who have stayed recently, how much is a local beer at "Beach Nuts" (Little Cayman Beach Resort) and/or "Tipsy Turtle" (Cayman Brac Beach Resort)?
I don't know the answer to your question. However, for both Little Cayman and Cayman Brac, the Classic Cayman dive package has lunch daily, 21 drinks, and 5 afternoon dives for $300 more than the Cayman Escape package. I'll take that deal, and have, three times.

I don't know the answer to your question. However, for both Little Cayman and Cayman Brac, the Classic Cayman dive package has lunch daily, 21 drinks, and 5 afternoon dives for $300 more than the Cayman Escape package. I'll take that deal, and have, three times.

EXACTLY..... Plus if you want to keep some extra drinks or snacks in your room fridge, the mini store is just a 5 min bicycle ride away and LCBR has the bikes available for free use.

Plus..... a buddy and I will be there from April 24 thru May 3 and will be happy to buy you a beer or two if you're there at that time! Cheers!

EXACTLY..... Plus if you want to keep some extra drinks or snacks in your room fridge, the mini store is just a 5 min bicycle ride away and LCBR has the bikes available for free use.

Plus..... a buddy and I will be there from April 24 thru May 3 and will be happy to buy you a beer or two if you're there at that time! Cheers!

The beers are just as expensive at that mini-market!

The beers are just as expensive at that mini-market!

Not the case last time I was there in 2019.....but whatever. We'll see here in a few weeks and I will respond back here with some actual facts. For the record, I'm not really at all concerned about a few bucks one way or the other.....and actually prefer to support the resort......but riding the bike with my backpack to the store is just another cool part of the LC experience that I enjoy Plus..... they have a lot of other convenience items there that are either not available at the resort or were not allowed to travel with.

Not the case last time I was there in 2019.....but whatever. We'll see here in a few weeks and I will respond back here with some actual facts. For the record, I'm not really at all concerned about a few bucks one way or the other.....and actually prefer to support the resort......but riding the bike with my backpack to the store is just another cool part of the LC experience that I enjoy Plus..... they have a lot of other convenience items there that are either not available at the resort or were not allowed to travel with.
Don’t take me too seriously. I’m being facetious (I don’t even drink), but the prices of everything at that store are insanely high.

The question to think about is whether you still want to do the trip given the condition of the reefs here. We were at CBBR last week and are currently at LCBR. We haven’t been diving in the Caribbean since 2021, and have never been to CB or LC before.

We have been shocked at the lack of life on dives here. Hopefully it will recover someday, but between the high water temperatures for a long period of time last summer and a huge storm this February which covered a lot of coral with sand, things are not in good shape here at all, very few sharks, a small number of turtles, some southern sting rays, and lots of juvenile fish. A couple who was here 2 years ago said the difference is very dramatic, sadly.

We had a good trip to LCBR last May - I don't recall seeing any sharks but everything else was normal from what I recall (many eagle rays). No SCTLD around still, and but this was before the ocean warmed up...was 81-82f as i recall. I haven't been to CBBR in a long while other than the wreck dive where you go over from LCBR.

@Millemar Are they still saying both islands are free of SCTLD that they've noticed? Can you also share the water temps you've seen as well if the coral has gotten color back from the high temps?

We had a good trip to LCBR last May - I don't recall seeing any sharks but everything else was normal from what I recall (many eagle rays). No SCTLD around still, and but this was before the ocean warmed up...was 81-82f as i recall. I haven't been to CBBR in a long while other than the wreck dive where you go over from LCBR.

@Millemar Are they still saying both islands are free of SCTLD that they've noticed? Can you also share the water temps you've seen as well if the coral has gotten color back from the high temps?
Water temps now are about 80 degrees, which the dive master said are a couple of degrees higher than this time last year I have seen some coral affected by SCTLD, but the biggest issues I’ve seen are algae - lots of it is taking over the coral - green, red, and white algae - as well as some corals being completely covered by sand in the February 2024 storm.

Don’t get me wrong - some of the walls still look beautiful, especially at deeper depths, but the shallower coral looks bad with much of it looking dead. And fish life is scarcer than I’ve seen on any dive trip anywhere in my 33 years of regular diving.

Back
Top Bottom