Mo2vation OCTOBER 1st, '05 Boat Dive planning thread - Sundiver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianS:
It was just my opinion. I've been on other boats that charge the same amount but include fills. I may not be the only one that feels like that, since they only have 2 people signed up. If there is a reason why someone won't sign up, they should state it to see if something can be changed.
I suspect the only reason this trip is slow to fill is due to lobster season opening the night (early morning) beforehand. I'll be descending at midnight, as will many others. October 1 will be a sleep-in morning!

Capt. Ray has no trouble keeping his boat filled.

kelphelper:
I suspect the only reason this trip is slow to fill is due to lobster season opening the night (early morning) beforehand. I'll be descending at midnight, as will many others. October 1 will be a sleep-in morning!

Capt. Ray has no trouble keeping his boat filled.
That's correct. The Sept. 3rd boat was full and it looks like the Oct. 29th boat is filling up quickly.

That said, there will be a discussion about when, where and which boats coming up about the 2006 calendar year.

The deal that Ray worked out for us was good and fair. Keep in mind that we started doing this at the last minute and didn't want to pay for an entire boat to see if we could fill it. Some things need to be kept in perspective and I don't think that people are interested in quibbling over one air fill.

Christian

BrianS:
Let me know if you decide to try another boat in the future. I think charging us for the 1st fill in the tank and another fill after just isn't right.
Dude, it all works out in the end, I slept on the boat, had breakfast, lunch, snacks, water, 3 fills and a beer on the way back to port (and tip :D) and it was almost the exact same price as 2 other all-inclusive boats I've taken in the past.

IMNSHO, If spending a few bucks more than what your used to is a huge problem for you, then don't go, it is...what it is. And if your comparing it to the 1/2 day boat, you have to remember you get another dive and no rushing around to get back. Personally, I'd gladly pay another $12 bucks (cost of 3 fills) to get another dive in and not be hurried back to port.

-Garrett

BrianS:
It was just my opinion. I've been on other boats that charge the same amount but include fills. I may not be the only one that feels like that, since they only have 2 people signed up. If there is a reason why someone won't sign up, they should state it to see if something can be changed.

hey brian, its good for us to discuss choices. which boat have you been on to catalina on the weekend that charges the same amount but includes fills? I'm curious

Scott

I like the Pacific Star in Redondo.

He has open party trips available in November and charges $123 for trip that are from 10am-10pm which includes 4 dives,tank fills,all food,drinks,beer,and wine all included in the price. Nitrox fills available at extra charge.

You pay one price and no hidden charges.

The crew will carry your gear to and from your car also.

http://pacificstardiving.com/calendar/default.asp?iDate=11/13/2005

I like the Sea Bass. They charge $112 for a 3 tank dive to front side Catalina, it includes tanks and fills (even if you bring an empty), lunch, drinks and snacks. It's fast (18 kt), starts on time (they will leave you in the parking lot if you are late), leaves early and gets back early. In no way does it have the "luxury" of the Sundiver, i.e. the inside cabin you can sit in your semi-wet clothes, the selection of food, or the night-before free accomodations. And all-in-all the Sundiver likely will be the same price after fills and food.

I really liked the Sand Dollar out of San Pedro, it's about $119-$135 (varies, depending on the date). They have

• Meals, Snacks and drinks Included (Very good food!, no frozen burgers)
  • Tanks Included
  • Weights Included (I hate lugging my weights onto a boat)
  • Air Fills Included (3 compressors)
  • Nitrox Available ( 2 fills for $15)
  • Chase boat in the water
  • Big Galley, everyone would fit
  • Plenty of bunks (singles and doubles)
  • Night before accomodations
  • Camera station
  • A nice dive platform, raised tanks, room to store gear

I've only been on multiday's with them, so I don't know if it's 3 or 4 dives on a 1 day trip.

Looks like Christian is getting alot of feedback, should have a few options and work out some deals for us for next year's Mo2vation dives. He did a fantastic job getting us hooked up with the Sundiver and working out a deal with Ray on fairly short notice.

For what it's worth, I really like the all-inclusive boats, I know exactly how much cash to bring with me.

I may have to give the Pacific Star a look this winter.

-Garrett

Hey everybody,

I've started a thread here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=112400

That thread is for all of your suggestions about which boats we should consider and why, as well as, how we should work out a rotation of boat dives, which Saturday each month we should have it on, etc. That is the thread that we'll be pulling our ideas from while this one will most likely fade away after Oct. 1st.

So, to put this thread back on topic...

Who wants to join us on Oct. 1st for some great diving and fun on the Sundiver with the infamous Capt. Ray? :icosm07:

Christian

Back
Top Bottom