Moalboal Trip Report (continuation from Malapascua Trip Report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Bill!

My Moalboal Plans are coming along quite nicely! Thanks for your advice.
I decided to make it a good long trip (Aug 23- Sept 6th) and look forward to getting some diving in. I am going to do a couple days with Quo Vadis and a couple with Nelsons.

I was thinking of hitting up another area and so far Bohol looked good. What do you think of this idea? would there be another nearby to Moalboal spot that you would recommend more than Moalboal?

You are the guru so I thought I would ask!

Thanks,

Jason

Thanks for the kind words, but I think I'm far from being any kind of "guru" :wink: After all I've only made three trips to the Philippines. There are many people here on the board, that have dived many more places than I. I can only tell you what I would do myself, based on talking to other people and reading trip reports from other areas.

If I were you, then yes I would definitley try to make a side trip to Bohol. Try to fit in Cabilao and Panglao.

I would also head down to the Dumaguete area. Apo Island would be a must as I've heard it called one of the best dives in the Philippines, by more than one person :)

This is more or less the itinerary that I'm considering for my next trip :D

Hopefully some other who have experience in those areas will chime in here :)

Thanks again Bill!

As Bill mentioned, there are lots of local people who check out the scubaboard posts...

So...

Any advice regarding Apo Island, Moalboal, and Bohol is appreciated! :D
My trip is from August 23-Sept 6th this summer. I arrive at Moalboal on the 23rd and plan to dive with Quo Vadis and Nelson's. Then I hope to go to Panglao and Apo Island as well...so feel free to send any tips my way.

Thanks very much!!

Jason

Hi there,

I'm hoping to work as DM in Moalboal in a few months time, what diveshops do you all think I should contact? After reading about Nelson's it certainly looks like they only hire locals, which is a shame for me since it looks to be a very nice diveshop...

I'm also looking for longer term accomodation in the area, any suggestions?

Thanks to Bill for a brilliant write-up!
/Andy

Hi there,

I'm hoping to work as DM in Moalboal in a few months time, what diveshops do you all think I should contact? After reading about Nelson's it certainly looks like they only hire locals, which is a shame for me since it looks to be a very nice diveshop...

I'm also looking for longer term accomodation in the area, any suggestions?

Thanks to Bill for a brilliant write-up!
/Andy

I don't think it hurts to ask :) Contact them all :wink: If you get any good leads on a job, they should be able to advise you on long-term accomodations also. A lot of the shops have an internet presence and some of the rental places also. Just plug Moalboal and diving into Google.... I've never looked for work in the dive industry (I'm working on Divemaster now), so maybe some of the people here who are more familiar with it could offer some insights.

Thanks for your kind remark... now if I could only find time to finish my last trip report :depressed:

Good advice from Bill there Andy! Best to knock on as many doors as possible. I was in Moalboal over the last 2 weeks as well as Dumaguete to dive Apo Island.

Regarding Moalboal shops I found out a few things that might be helpful: most of the shops are owned/operated by Germans, Nelson's is the exception but a good exception. I did my dives there with Visayan divers, a good bunch of people and a stable resort. The busy season starts up within a month so openings will happen.

A new shop run by a friendly British fellow named Carl Dales might be another good option: Cebu Dive Centre (Diving in Cebu Philippines - Cebu dive boats - diving boats Cebu) I met Carl and the DM Raj there, very nice and the new setup they have is pretty slick.

Savedra and SeaQuest seem to have a very strong share of the business. There may be options there as well.

For cheap long term accommodations the shop that hires you will usually arrange. Mollies Place and Pacitas may give you some options.

The diving is easy, hardly any current, as a DM you are spoiled because the boat boys do all the slugging. You just help with gear and supervise the dive.

Of worthy note: Moalboal is a very small town and everybody knows everybody. Get the lowdown on the info from the longtime expats living and working there. And not meaning any offense, the women can be a bit aggressive so take you time if romance crosses your mind.

All in all the people and times i had there were great!

I would have done some diving with the other shops but I did an unexpected trip to Dumaguete and Apo Island. If you have a chance you might want to consider working for one of the many shops in Dumaguete city that go to Apo. The city is small (~60000) yet not so small as the micro village of Moalboal (~3000). This was my favorite diving of the two sites I went to. I was an amazing mix of drift and shallow reef diving, saw huge schools of fish. Current is definitely strong here and you should get to know the sites thoroughly before leading people; however i think there is only 6-7 dive sites around the island. You do three tank charters (which means you will probably get more pay as it is a longer day) and have a tasty lunch on the beach of the island at one of the little inns' restaurants. I dove with Adventure Diver. They were great.

Good luck! Let me know how it works out!

Jason

Hi Jason!

Definately good stuff to keep in mind and it might very well change my itinerary... I'm definately going to Moalboal for at least a month to start with to do a few freediving courses, but after that I'm completely flexible. Will keep Apo in mind. I think I'll try to do a few fundives with each shop and find out that way if they have any openings and what they are like to dive with/for. I'm in a bit of a luxury situation where I don't have to get a working position straight away. I'll take my time and find somewhere nice to stay/work. =)

Many thanks for the info/advice!
/A

Thanks Carl :) Sorry, I normally get email notification when someone replies, but I somehow missed your post here :( Good luck with your business in Moalboal. I'll be sure to come by and say hi when I make it back your way :)

Not sure when that will be. I was offered a really good deal for Tubbataha so I've decided to do that for my next trip in the spring, which means I'll be doing Coron also for that trip.

I bought a lot of new dive and camera equipment so only one trip this year (ended up being Anilao/PG). Course I dive regularly here in Japan :) I just did a dive yesterday morning..... and yes I was in a drysuit :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom