Modified W200.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two of these modded W200s and they really are excellent. I've also got two of the ISTs and I prefer the W200s for
a) Their build, the ISTs are very robust but I prefer the delrin body of the W200s.
b) The length of the W200s is nicer IMHO than the ISTs, they seem to sit better on the harness
c) Burntime is much longer than with the IST.

I haven't used a handheld torch that comes close to these.

Since you have the aspheric R2 and a reflector R2 can you please say which you prefer in what conditions.

I really like the aspheric for the limited viz dives I do, but since you do so much night diving I guess you may prefer the reflector?

Ah yeah sorry my brain is mush at the moment (suspected swine flu..)

For my night diving I always use the modded maglite quad aspheric can light that you also make and after about 25 hrs so far on that I haven't had the need to use either of the W200s.

I have used them on a night dive to check em out and for the typical vis we have here of 3-8 metres I prefer the aspheric as it cuts through with less scatter. The reflector is better if the water is cleaner than about 10 metres.

I have on several occasions passed the W200s off to other divers who have had floods/battery failures, they never seem happy with their own torches again!:wink:

I have never seen one so cant really comment too much.

It uses a K2 LED which is not as bright as the Cree Q5 or R2.

ALso it uses 6 AA and is rated for 7 hours. I doubt it will run at full power output for no where near that long.

But for the price its probably good value.

What do you think about modifying it to use a single 18650 cell. The voltage is about the same. Someone discovered that the 6 AAA cells are arranged in 2 banks of 3 AAA cells in parallel.

Adam

Last edited:
Hi Packhorse

Do you have any lights comparable to the IST? .... it looks like the wife has comandeered my bday present. I still have the W200 which i like, but really like the size of the IST.

Thanks

I dont see any benefit. 6AA's will have over twice the energy of a 18650 Li Ion. You also lose the ability to use readily available AA's

Are you sure its not 2 banks of 3 AA's in series?

Actually the Dorcy light takes AAA cells. There are two banks, each one has 3 cells in series and the two banks are in parallel. So the voltage of the light is 3*(1.2-1.5) volts depending if the cells are rechargeable or alkaline. 3.6-4.5 volts, about the same as the 18650 li cell. The AAA batteries hold 2* 1000maH of charge and I think the 18650 holds more.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom