Mola mola (images)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am fascinated by these fish, and am always left to wonder how they evolved to be so weird looking. It looks like God went over budget when making the Mola Mola, and had to stop in the middle.

We have these in NJ, too. They look the same, except ours have big hair and a bad attitude. :D

That's very cool!

I've actually never seen one of these.

Nice pics!

Christian

I have seen then a few times but never had the camera with me to capture the moment. Great to see the pics Jim.

Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing

SWT

It was an unforgetable moment, being eye to eye with such a large fish in blue water. It was clearly checking me out and would come close and then go away, only to return. I've heard that some will let you "pet" them to remove their parasites, but this one either wasn't in the mood or wasn't too sure whether or not I was a threat. I estimated that he/she was about three feet wide, which would make his/her a youngster.

I saw a mola mola in late June. Awesome sight. The unusual part of the sighting was the depth. All sources I have read put this fish at or near the surface. I was on a wreck at 120' when i saw it above me a few feet, probably around 100'. My buddy and I started ascending to it very slowly and it came within probably 10' of us and then slowly turned and swam away. A very cool experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom