Monastary 5/19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuck Tribolet:
Roy, you must be navigationally impaired, or ignored the standard advice for Monastery:
Don't dive the middle. It's the reefs at either end that are interesting.

Not interested in going to Monastery again and you can't even pay me enough to go there unless you (Chuck) be the dive master and show me around that place, forget it. Rather go to Pt. Lobos with friends or go Beach Hopper 2.

jarhed:

Ha yourself.

its still the luck of the draw with spear fishing. its true we are looking for larger fish. a good catch. but then again. most spear fishing I see is selective harvesting. I pass on most species. and even some lobster divers will throw back a monster females. and some dive boats incurrage this for the reasons you have stated. while hook and line fishing, there are several casualties. with limits placed on different species. you cant always keep what you catch. and death is most often the result due to there air bladders expanding. far more fish are killed of using this method. while its true that most competitions are well organized and the divers have there hot holes. and to watch the weigh ins is quite the seen. its is a good thing that the competitions are not in the same place time and time again. and I do agree we need better management of our fisheries. like 10 fish limit for hook and line. no mater what species you catch. there would be a lot less fish killed. fishing and gathering from the water goes back to biblical times and even farther. we should be better stewarts of our waters. like composting toilets and wean everybody off the idea that we all have to have green lawns outside our houses that require vast amounts of water and chems. maybe we would then have enough water for the salmon to spawn up the klamath and elsewhere. we would definatley have cleaner waters. and community gardens would be a good start as well.. for so many reasons.. the community would be stronger and less trucks on the roads. less cems..I definitely think there are bigger fish to fry then the spear fishing community. hook and line fisherman often keep species that should have been thrown back. from lack of knowledge. they don't know the difference between a vermillion and a yellow eye..ect..

as far as chemicals. yes digital is less polluting and its a better way to go but the chems are still there. its just at the factories. as with all chems. fertilizers causing toxic algae blooms. runoff from cattle farms and poultry.. ect..ect.. waist from building.. asbestos from break pads,toxic paints for boats, surf board and boat materials, plastics, and the list goes on and on and on. look at Mexico's sewage. not even treated and just dumped. its all overwhelming... what's a guy to do... fish count .. reef.. ect..

basically, I think what we do out of the water has a bigger impact on fish species than what we do while we are in the water. when I was a kid growing up you couldn't keep me out of the creek. always fishing and catching frogs and snakes. I go back to the same places that were teeming with life. hundreds of frogs.. birds like you wouldn't believe. fish. ect.. and now. nothing.. just stagnate pools of nothing. guess i over fished it? no. its just spreading.. our oceans are next unfortunately if we don't wake up... and pull our heads out of the sand.

gonphishing:
basically, I think what we do out of the water has a bigger impact on fish species than what we do while we are in the water. when I was a kid growing up you couldn't keep me out of the creek. always fishing and catching frogs and snakes. I go back to the same places that were teeming with life. hundreds of frogs.. birds like you wouldn't believe. fish. ect.. and now. nothing.. just stagnate pools of nothing. guess i over fished it? no. its just spreading.. our oceans are next unfortunately if we don't wake up... and pull our heads out of the sand.

When you see the difference in size, numbers, and diversity in Pt. Lobos vs. similar
nearby structure that's not protected, it's abundantly clear that take has a lot to do with
it.

Im not so convinced. sure it has an effect. and it is a interesting study. Ill never take my boat to blue fish again. I do think the hydro corals are something to see. and I can now see what the effects of anchoring can do to the reef. its my kayak and a kelp clip in the future if I decide to dive lobos. I now now why anchoring in other areas of the park is prohibited. as well as diving. I do believe if you take a different path throw a field of grass eventually, the old path disappears. but a new one forms. I believe in conservation. Im not just a mindless fish killer!! I believe the numbers of fish are compromised a lot more by other things other than sport fishing. I don't believe it is the culprit for dwindling fish counts. there are bigger factors doing much grater harm to the environment. than spear fishing.unfortinatley you see the effects of sport fishing due to poor management of our enviorment. I think it more environmental, and commercial. and just poor management. believe me chuck im just as concerned as you are. I just think that the path we took to get where we are, is a different path. I also believe in reserves and protected areas. where fishing is off limits.

Chuck - I tend to agree..Nowhere do you see the numbers and size and diversity other than PL.Im sure there are other mitigating factors though..?
I didnt mean to imply that that was the cause at Monastary....it was a strange day...Ive dove there many times before and enjoyed an abundance of life,but it was strangely devoid on sat?
On a previous day south of Lovers(I cant recall the site name) we saw 4 kayak fishermen come in with stringers of 10-15 fish apiece..who knows where they were fishing but thats 50-60 fish that wont be there to procreate....it pales in camparison to the commercial fishing,but makes you think..?

Roy- Suit yourself... but IMHO thats one of the best shore dives (when calm!) besides PL.You were definitely in the wrong spot....

Drew

Drewpy:
Roy- Suit yourself... but IMHO thats one of the best shore dives (when calm!) besides PL.You were definitely in the wrong spot....

Drew

I have all summer.

Just because you dive on a reef doesn't (always) mean you have to drop your hook right on top of it...

I suspect the more experienced boat-diving skippers know where to drop so as not to damage the reef.

gonphishing:
Im not so convinced. sure it has an effect. and it is a interesting study. Ill never take my boat to blue fish again. I do think the hydro corals are something to see. and I can now see what the effects of anchoring can do to the reef. its my kayak and a kelp clip in the future if I decide to dive lobos. I now now why anchoring in other areas of the park is prohibited. as well as diving.

gonphishing:
Im not so convinced. sure it has an effect. and it is a interesting study. Ill never take my boat to blue fish again. I do think the hydro corals are something to see. and I can now see what the effects of anchoring can do to the reef. its my kayak and a kelp clip in the future if I decide to dive lobos. I now now why anchoring in other areas of the park is prohibited. as well as diving.

There's plenty of sand in Bluefish to anchor in. I publish the numbers for some of it on my GPS website, and you can see it on your depthfinder if you read the manual.

And anchoring isn't prohibited in the rest of the reserve, just diving and snorkeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom