money?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy:
Flying Fish express sold and shipped Blue Ring Octopi, which are deadly.

only if you piss them off.

as an aside, it's not a good idea to piss them off :wink:

Amy Capello:
Supply and demand... If enough people saw sense and didn't buy one, there wouldn't be enough demand to justify selling them...

On the one hand, I think it's a shame that everyone has jumped on this girl for wanting to keep one as a pet when she's actually only asked for some advice on how to make money quickly.

On the other hand... I really don't agree with keeping them as pets. They should be left in the wild, in their natural habitats, where they belong.

I'm a marine biologist myself and trust me, anything you learn from keeping one as a pet is NOT going to help you get a degree in marine biology!! It would be in a completely unnatural environment and therefore exhibit unnatural behaviours. If you really want to help yourself learn, and cephalopods are your amin interest, go buy soem books, reserach them on the internet, read scientific papers (journals) and learn more about their natural behaviours, physiology, etc... THAT will help you later with your degree.

That's my 2 cents anyway...

I dont think anyone was "jumping" on her. Just giving different opinons. Isnt that what this is about?

ScubaTwo:
I dont think anyone was "jumping" on her. Just giving different opinons. Isnt that what this is about?

Nope - it's about how she can raise some cash. :)

Amy Capello:
Nope - it's about how she can raise some cash. :)

I understand that. So after she asked the question we all should just shhhhhhh? I thought when you asked a question on a forum you were looking for different opinons and such. My mistake, sorry. I hear Mcdonalds is usually hiring ppl who need extra cash. Is that better? :)

leo311:
combine the two. dive for money. any golf courses nearby? dive for golf balls. a marina? clean some boat hulls.

Hmm very good idea :)

Golfers love cheap golf balls to beat around with. maby work a deal with the pro at a course recoverying and cleaning them for .15 ea. you could make a killing in a chort while. expecially if there are some sorry golfers and lots of water hazards.
Folks who leave their boats in the water for extended times at dock probably wouldnt mind slipping some quick cash for a good hull cleaning.

Dont dive for golf balls - think of all the chemicals used on those courses and where do all those chems drain to - the ponds where all the balls are. I would just try to net them from a little boat or the shore rather than get in there with the chems.

As for exotic pets, hot topic, dont agree or disagree with it.

I think the ways of getting a little extra cash have been explained, the advantages of working in some places (such as the fish store) are worth more than the wages, such as discounts.

Im very sorry if I was reckless or insulting in my postings on this thread. I surely didnt mean to do so. I, like anyone, have opinons and thought I would share them as I so much enjoy when other ppl do. Because I have such strong opinons on this matter, the next time I see the words money and pet in the same post I will just zip it :)

Jrdivagrl
you don’t need to justify anything to anybody, you want one save up and get one that simple. Not every one is going to understand the “WHY”. Not every one understands why I even bother to waste my time with my tanks and all the so called hassle my fish are. I kind of agree with one of the post that they will not act “normal” in a small enclosure but like any none captive wildlife, marine life you need to mimic it’s “normal” surroundings even before you purchase the bim and that is a must not a might or later on down the road, it’s a must. I will say that they are not exactly for the beginner or even the advance collector. The bims are very skittish and stress out very easy. Any movement that is fast or in view and they WILL blow “ink” and it’s not like you will have a choice of doing a water change later on or “not right now” it is a must that minute and stress levels rise and once that scared octo is slammed under the rock and they are just not happy, trust me on this I found out the hard way a couple of times. Water changes on a 250 gallon tanks is not fun. I had to swap some of my other fish to another tank and just keep my bim and my nurse shark in the big tank. Now the other side of the coin (in my experience and in my opinion) The first couple of months are the hardest. Once your bim adjust to its enclosure they are not hard to maintain you have to keep checking water levels for nitrates and make sure you have no, none not even a hint of copper in the water what so ever and then once you think you have the tank completely escape proof think again. My bim watches me when I feed or go near the tank for any reason and watches how I get in and sure as the day is long turn the light down grab a drink and watch the show, my guy or girl does it every time I drop some feeder clams and mussels in the tank he climbs his way to the top and tries like hell to lift the lid and glass top. Live rock is a toy to them, get aquarium sealant and glue the rock formation together or you’ll hear the rocks being bumped and tossed around and hitting the aquarium wall. At times they do get real curious about this “thing” that keeps lifting the top of the water and sticking “something” into the area of which it resides and will grab a hold of your arm and feel you up and down, and the “test” bite hurts like no’s business, that beak will break skin/bone with out question. I say wait and learn as much as you can first, take your time build the enclosure to best suit the bim and let the water cycle with live rock and some live substrate, you will not be doing the bim any justice by being “greedy”. I’m not telling you don’t get it but learn about it first. I have had mine for four years now and have enjoyed watching him do the “normal” every day routine of prying open clams and watching it jet across the tank and whip the shark when it gets to close. They are great to watch but with that being said they still are not like some fish you can just drop in the water and tap on the glass and watch bug out.
I say learn and when you think you have learned enough learn some more knowledge of the bim is an extended and health life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom