money?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hehehe...i went to my LFS today and i saw a TINY Bimac! Im in the midst of compromising with my parents and i think that they might pay for some of it too! I am really phsyced!

Pets are a big responsibility, and a big pain in the tail in many situations.

You do NOT say where you are from, but is there any way you could volenteer at a aquarium? They have great tanks, and the resources to take care of creatures. Plus when you get home, you leave the animals behind :wink:

My cousin is a Marine Biologist. Based on where she is today, and how she got there, you should save your time for education. It is a LOT of work, and a VERY competitive field.

You can read about some of her adventures here, and the adventures of many of the worlds top Marine Biologists.

http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/04deepscope/welcome.html

Good Luck,
Ron

jrdivagrl:
ahh ladies i am in desperate need of help here! i am curently extremely interested in purchasing a bimaculoide octopus aka a bimac. all together i need $500 dollars and i already have $200. what is the best and fastest way to earn a lot of money? Excluding babysitting please, i already do that :wink: .
I REALLY need the money THANKS!

-anna

Ron- I have had a huge amount of "exotic" pets. all which had surpassed their age expectancy. I currently have a parrot and a dog. I think getting an octo will contribute to my education.

cancun mark:
octopus eggs for $150 a bunch of ten

Thats expensive. anyone know the legalities of selling that kind of live stuff on ebay?

i would imagine you'd have to follow whatever procedures there are
for the sale and transport of livestock.

i do wonder if an octopus is considered a protected/endagered/exotic
species, and what sort of customs/quarantine issues you'll run into.

as far as im concerend there arent any...they sell them at my local fish store and ship to anywhere in the usa.

right, but their importer will know all the red-tape, and that is all taken care of
by the time the animal gets to you.

someone starting the business of importing octopi into the US might get into real
trouble if they don't know the regulations.

Hi jrdivagirl,

Had to get my 2cents in. I agree with RonFrank, I am in my 4th year of a biology major (University of Victoria) and it is tough work. I would save the time and money for school.
You have said that you feel that having an octopus will add to your education? I am curious how? I don't mean to belittle you or your intensions, I am just curious. I doubt that it will display "normal" behaviours in a home aquarium environment. So you would probably be better off reading journal articles etc to learn about behaviour. The cephalopods are highly intelligent, roughly intelligence of an average preschooler, and can be just as quick to get into trouble. The university's behavior lab had an octopus which learned how to move the lid of the tank enough to crawl out into the neighbouring crab tank at night. It took several days for the teaching staff to figure out why the shore crabs kept disapeering. I have seen video footage (in class) of an octopus unsrewing a jar to get to things inside. So make sure that you are aware of the things your octopus might learn how to do.
On a more personal note, it is my personal opinion that the cephalopods should not be kept as pets because of their intelligence, etc...
At the very least I would ask that you check to make sure this species is not covered by CITES (international legislation regarding trade of organisms). Maybe more importantly ask where the store is getting the animals/eggs. Just because something is legal to sell doesn't mean that it has been "caught" in a responsible/sustainable manor. (A good example is trade in reef fish.)

Kelp Maiden

jrdivagrl, I am terrible at saving money, but I do a lot of spending so I know where to get it! i reccomend you get a high paying job, usually found in a large company, even if you dont like it, or get a few part time jobs on a casual wage, if you want to have an expensive hobby, and save for uni at the same time. I get what other people have been saying about responsibilities and laws, but hey if it will make you happy to see it everyday then get one! and perhaps it will remind you of why you want to be a marine biologist when times are tough, so it can be classified as a motivational tool also :wink:. I didnt know you could have one at home, now I want one too! It would be very cool to see what it learns.

jrdivagrl:
ahh ladies i am in desperate need of help here! i am curently extremely interested in purchasing a bimaculoide octopus aka a bimac. all together i need $500 dollars and i already have $200. what is the best and fastest way to earn a lot of money? Excluding babysitting please, i already do that :wink:

I REALLY need the money THANKS!

-anna

Why exactly again do you need one?

Back
Top Bottom