MODS: The Tale of a DUI Knockoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MotherOfBats

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
WARNING! DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS “COMPANY” WITHOUT BUYER PROTECTION!

ME: I think it only fair to give a quick overview of why I went down the custom drysuit path. I am small female diver who has no luck with off the rack clothing let alone dry or wetsuits. I am 5’3” and 135 lbs which can be considered average, but it is my measurements that throw everything askew. I am an hourglass figure with large hips and gluts. So, the top and bottom are not consistent in a single size for dry or wetsuits. I needed to find someone who could make me a drysuit based on my measurements. MODS was recommended to me by someone who thought the company was legitimate but didn’t own one of their suits. My first mistake but I did watch a review by someone who turned out to be their affiliate and what the suit offered seemed great.

MODS: There are three owners with no clue as to how to run a business. The company offers nothing new or innovative and can be best described as a DUI knockoff. They do not use their own patterns and instead use patterns from other manufacturers including DUI. So, truly you are getting a genuine DUI knockoff with some custom printed designs if you feel like getting ripped off a couple hundred more dollars. Their company mentality is, ‘We sell “cheap” drysuits. You get what you get.’

INITIAL CONTACT: Contact was not initially made because they do not know how to answer a phone or return a call. More than one person has reported this as one of the main reasons they did not make a purchase. That and extremely poor customer service if they ever did make contact through other means. The ongoing excuse from their apologists is that their English skills are poor because they are from South Korea. So, my ex is from Seoul, South Korea and he was in the US Special Forces. He spoke to people everyday in English and took extra classes to improve his skills. It was never perfect, but he put in the effort to improve since he decided to stay in America for his career. So, the English excuse is an excuse for LAZINESS. These people are just plain lazy, so they opt to never use the phone.

EMAIL HELL BEGINS: Since these people are allergic to using a phone, the next best thing is trying to get ahold of them via email. However, let me start by saying that I made the mistake of going forward with finding someone to do my measurements. This process took TWO WEEKS because no one will do measurements for other companies, but I found an independent wedding dress maker who agreed to do it. By the time this process was done I was running short on time to get it made and shipped in time for an international trip. So, I went ahead and fumbled my way through their unorganized website. The models are just different patterns for the prints but have all the same components. However, it is not obvious that they only have one size for the silicone neck seal and wrist/glove system. The latex does have different sizes, but I never even looked because I have a contact allergy from working in medicine for many years.

I went to pay for my basic pattern drysuit (I was only getting it for the custom fit part) and their payment portal was not working. At the time I couldn’t use my CC because I was waiting on a replacement, so I was going to use PayPal. However, the portal was not working. I tried for 3 days until I called PayPal and they said they would contact the company and then try again in 3 more days. 3 days pass and I try to use the portal and it is still not working. It turns out that they don’t pay their bills, so the payment portal was shut down by PayPal. I had to do a lot of back and forth with these people for days because they wanted to get paid via Venmo. I refused because it is not a professional payment system. Basically, you are throwing money into a blackhole and hope it works out. This is the same with Zelle or any instant transfers. I had to name drop my instructor because I knew they had been trying to get him to promote them on his social media for months. They finally decided to work with me and agreed to a $500 Zelle deposit which I only did because I’m with BOA. After almost a week, I was able to use the PayPal portal for another $1,987.00 which is the only amount that fell under buyer protection.

THE SUIT: I received the suit 3 weeks later and a few days before my trip. When I looked at the suit it seemed large and very boxy. That’s because it is a men’s DUI pattern that someone attempted to shrink down to fit me. I cleaned it because it smelled awful and then packed it for my trip. I took this thing into an overhead environment which turned out to be very dangerous. Every time I put it on it seemed way too big for me and just didn’t feel right. Diving with it was a nightmare come to life. The boots they offer are very, very soft and flexible. So, if any air left in the oversized suit gets into the boots they swell up like balloons and your feet no longer make contact with the inside. I had a negatively buoyant fin so they would start to twist around my foot once the boot became inflated. The worst part was that my feet kept getting pulled out of the boot after two kicks and stuck in the pant leg. I became exhausted and frustrated trying to fix this all the time in an overhead environment. At one point I realized that I would end up dying in this suit if it wasn’t for someone knowledgeable to help me. I also never put any gas into the drysuit for this reason and ended up with really bad compression bruising all over my body. Wearing this suit started to give me anxiety every day. I got to the point that I hated diving and thought about quitting for good. That’s how enjoyable my experience with this drysuit was.

FALLOUT: Once I returned home, I contacted their affiliate because he just happened to live in the same state as me. I was concerned about the fit and the boots inflating like they did. I spoke with him a few times and he was passing the information to one of the owners. After a few days speaking to him one of the owners reached out to me which only began an exchange of emails that were nothing but defensive and accusatory. I agreed to try the suit with different undergarments but had to wait two weeks to receive my order. In the meantime, I took the suit to 6 different drysuit dealers who all had the same feedback: the suit is 4-5 inches too long and 3-4 inches too wide everywhere. They all agreed that no amount of undergarment would make the suit fit me. It was called dangerous due to the poor fit and that the reason my foot was pulled out of the boot is because it is too large. It was also noted that the left sleeve was longer than the right sleeve. I also noticed that I developed a bruise on my left hand when wearing it because the glove lock would hit and rub on my hand, but it never happened on the right. Turns out the right sleeve seam is tightly glued to a dump valve patch for approx. 3 inches, so it is the only sleeve that fits. The suit is so large that it is not obvious when wearing it. I sent pictures of the fit and manufacturing error, and they didn’t really care. They never cared about any of my feedback and only replied with extremely defensive and argumentative emails. This has continued for two months, and they never once offered to fix the issue. I finally had to ask them for either my money back or to remake the suit. The offered to remake it but only if I buy about $600 worth of parts from Bare so the neck seal and wrist/glove would fit me and pair of their tech boots to replace the soft POS they make. I refused and asked for my money back. Which then lead to filing a complaint with PayPal.

Attachments

• Drysuit concerns_Redacted.jpg
    Drysuit concerns_Redacted.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 33
Did you have an aversion to Seaskin or just didn't know about them?

PayPal has granted me a full refund but only after I send the drysuit back. I have explained to PayPal that they still owe me $500, so they're not getting it back until I receive a full refund. This has been going on for 4 months. They do not make custom drysuits and are only professional to male divers with social media accounts in hopes of free advertising.

That sucks, I mean, that really sucks. I'm sorry you had such an awful experience. I had briefly looked at their stuff when I started shopping for a drysuit over a year ago, and like you I couldn't find much in the way of a customer base for a good or bad review.

Friendly advice - I don't think you're going to see your inital $500 deposit, no matter what you do at this point. If paypal is willing to refund your balance payment by proving return shipping, I'd make sure that is in writing and get that done as soon as possible before your buyer protection expires and you're left with a suit that doesn't sound like it would fit or work for anyone.

If you're not ready to throw in the towel on a MTM drysuit, I'd suggest taking a look at a seaskin nova with a glued in neoprene neck, neoprene socks, and a dry glove system of your choosing. It will take a bit longer, but you'd get something that fits you 10 times better for half the price. If you do decide to go that route at some point now or later, they have a really good video on their site about how to measure. Anyone patient enough to share 20 minutes with you as you pause the video and carefully take one measurement at a time can help you get good measurements, no need to pay a tailor.

By the way - good call getting a business owner to write a letter on your behalf that your purchase wasn't fit for intended purpose. That was smart.

That sucks, I mean, that really sucks. I'm sorry you had such an awful experience. I had briefly looked at their stuff when I started shopping for a drysuit over a year ago, and like you I couldn't find much in the way of a customer base for a good or bad review.

Friendly advice - I don't think you're going to see your inital $500 deposit, no matter what you do at this point. If paypal is willing to refund your balance payment by proving return shipping, I'd make sure that is in writing and get that done as soon as possible before your buyer protection expires and you're left with a suit that doesn't sound like it would fit or work for anyone.

If you're not ready to throw in the towel on a MTM drysuit, I'd suggest taking a look at a seaskin nova with a glued in neoprene neck, neoprene socks, and a dry glove system of your choosing. It will take a bit longer, but you'd get something that fits you 10 times better for half the price. If you do decide to go that route at some point now or later, they have a really good video on their site about how to measure. Anyone patient enough to share 20 minutes with you as you pause the video and carefully take one measurement at a time can help you get good measurements, no need to pay a tailor.

By the way - good call getting a business owner to write a letter on your behalf that your purchase wasn't fit for intended purpose. That was smart.
PayPal is looking into the full refund issue. They're not expiring it. I already have a custom suit in with Bare. Thanks though.

Back
Top Bottom