Monterey 2 divers dead, separate incidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CDNN is the worst place for dive related news...plenty of inaccuracies and they steal stories from other reporters without permission. I would stear away fromt there

Ben what par t of the Bay Area are you in? I grew up in El Granada, 5 miles North of Half Moon bay. I was certified at Monterey in 74. Back then theere was some serious diver traffic in the area. 27 million people in Califonia and who knows how many divers.

We've had seven deaths in Northern California that I know of this year, and I've got one
more lead to follow up on.

I dive Monterey essentially every weekend day that conditions permit. That works
out to about 70 days a year. 104 weekend days, eight holidays (for me), maybe eight
days when I get something else scheduled (Boston Whaler Rendezvous, big family
event, high school reunion, stuff like that). So 70 out of (104+8-8), or 67% of the
days are diveable (by my standards) and 33% are not. Three (including the most
recent 2) out of seven deaths (42%) were on days when the 3 a.m. coastal and
marine forecast would have kept me at home. Is that significant? It's a small
sample, so the best I can say is maybe. I'll have to look at some older data.

Another way to slice the seven deaths is that three occurred on normal weekdays,
two occurred on holidays, and two occurred on normal weekends. Most Monterey
diving occurs on normal weekends. Holiday weekends are slow (people do other stuff)
and weekdays are VERY quiet. I suspect that the difference is the number of other
divers around to help.

How many Monterey divers are there? Well, quite a few. The diving is world class
(but cold, and often mediocre vis (though I know Brits that consider Monterey a
tropical dive site ;-)), and Monterey's were most Northern California divers go.
Monterey itself supports four dive shops and seven dive boats, and another 53 dive
shops in Northern California.

Chuck Tribolet:
Another way to slice the seven deaths is that three occurred on normal weekdays,
two occurred on holidays, and two occurred on normal weekends. Most Monterey
diving occurs on normal weekends. Holiday weekends are slow (people do other stuff)
and weekdays are VERY quiet. I suspect that the difference is the number of other
divers around to help.

I wish we had the data to test out some of these theories...Experience level and proficiency would be helpful data points.

Some thoughts

1. More fatalities on weekdays/holidays vs regular dive weekends because

a. If the weather was undivable/marginal the regular guys would have bailed... the decedents would have taken a hint from the other divers and bailed as well.

b. There are more experienced divers that would end a hand/rescue other divers who were in over their heads... Would have turned a fatality into a near miss.

I wish we had solid number like aviation incidents.... the safety reporting in dive accidents is seriously lacking.

wow what a crappy end to the holiday....my sympathy is with the families

My condolence to the family, especially the two sons who were there. I dive with my 12 year old daughter and wife, and I hate to think how my daughter would react if I had an accident. Fortunately - I never diver with JUST her, so there is at least one other adult or buddy group around. Guess it's time for me to seriously look at taking the rescue class.

Chuck - You mentioned that "Three out of seven deaths (42%) were on days when the 3 a.m. coastal and marine forecast would have kept me at home. " I am a noob at this, and wondering what you meant by that. How do you determine what "marine forecast" would keep you at home?

Minh

Back
Top Bottom