Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I'm jealous...

Dove Metridiums & breakwater today. 10ft vis---green water & particulates---both dives.

First dive:Followed the pipe out to the Metridiums. 48 feet, 48 minutes, computer says 51F---add 3 to 4 degrees to that. Saw two octopus on the way out & lots of sea nettles. About 3/4 of the metridiums were closed.

Second dive: surface kick to the 7, drop & cruise along the wall/sand interface 'til half air, rise up to 25/30 feet and return. Lots of small fish, few large, and more sea nettles. Had a longer encounter with another octopus and had one cormorant visit. 46 feet, 52 minutes, 50F + a few degrees 'cause my computer logs low.

Did one dive at North Monestar to 130 feet and then followed the bottom back up and surfaced right by the beach. Vis was about 15 feet at around 30- 40 feet of depth. It was dark and green down deep.

We did the second dive at South Monestary. Vis was about 10-15 feet with lots of larger particulates in the water.

Today saw breakwater with a green 5-10 ft vis. Temp was 54. Some surge, but not too horrid. Foggy morning with clearing by 11. Topside temp was around 65ish I'd say. While the vis was not great, I still love all the critters everywhere, and had beautiful dive...

Went to Pt. Lobos today and had extremely chunky, green water all the way down to 110 fsw. It was certainly less than 10' of visibility and probably more like 5'. We went down near HITW, found the hole, went over the sand channel to the inner wall, then north on the wall to LM. Never did locate LM, but we went north to Seamount anyway. Found Seamount OK and marveled at the huge numbers of YOY there. Then we went NW to Beto's and tooled along it for a while. Even here, it was less than 10' of visibility. Coming back, we must have veered to the east of Seamount because we never found it. But we picked our way back into Whaler's anyway and surfaced reasonably close to the boat ramp. It was actually a fun dive and we thoroughly enjoyed it. But it was an interesting dive trying to navigate out to Beto's and back without being able to see any of the normal reference points.

Anyone dove Lobos lately? Water temp? Viz?

Dove Breakwater wall and kelp. 10-15ft vis 53 degrees at 40ft. Sun came out around noon. 3 Dolphins were cruising around Breakwater just outside the kelp. They were spotted off and on throughout the day. Didn't see them under water. Lots of YOY. Saw a couple Octopuses and Sea Nettles. Very nice dives. Drove by Monastery in A.M. Looked murky and dark on North side. Wharf 2 looked dark and green. Saw a young Seal at Breakwater swimming on the surface with a pretty big chunk out of his side above the fin. Looked like it could have been from a boat prop.

Did Point Lobos last weekend. 50deg@50ft, vis not very good but not horrible. max was around 15-20' near HITW.

Lobos today had only 3-4 ft vis in cove and didn't improve much at all even down to 75fsw. Had friendly harbor seal visit several times. I think it was taking pity on us. Gave him a belly scratch and it kissed my dive buddy right on the regulator :)

Topside was lovely so that made up for it a bit.

ken loomis

Yuck. I hope Lobos clears up some by Friday. Taking my wife out there for her first dive since her certification and I really hope it will be a good one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom