Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great Pinnacle and Outer Butterfly House - jellies abound at GP. Glassy seas, 50-51F, viz was around 30' and dark, a few octupuses, giant sheephead, and juvenile rockfish.

North North Monastery and South Monastery today both had hazy green vis to 30ft. N N Monastery had thigh high surf for fin on entry. South Monastery had ankle slappers, extremely easy entry. Very enjoyable dives. At south monastery was hoping to come across leopard sharks to no avail. Did have a monster vermillion rockfish check me out. That thing had to be 20+ lbs, never new they could get that big. Lot's of different nudibranch seen in the 35-45fsw reef area of S Monastery. Only jellyfish seen were a few dead/dying and being munched on by blue rockfish. Given how calm monastery was I was surprised not to see other divers there.

By the way, I finally finished editing video from my Mac abee dives from a week ago, posted: YouTube

ken loomis

I just saw a posting on ba_diving from Regina Roberts who had exactly the same experience yesterday I did. She was on the Beach Hopper and reported dazzling visibility at depth. I was on a friend's boat in Carmel Bay, and after we got tired of taking pictures of the Orcas feeding there(!) we went over to the Needle (aka Half Dome). As I started down, the immediate reaction was "Ugh!" It was a solid mass of nettles under me, and visibility could not have been more than 10'. But once I got below about 50 fsw the nettles stopped and the water cleared up. It was well over 50' of visibility and with no nettles. It really was a spectacular dive, though quite dark. If you looked up, you could see the mass of nettles in the crud, but that would only be an issue at the end of the dive. When I finally had to come up, I was surprised to see that the mass of nettles stopped at about 20fsw, so I didn't have to dodge them during my stop.

North North Monastery and South Monastery today both had hazy green vis to 30ft. N N Monastery had thigh high surf for fin on entry. South Monastery had ankle slappers, extremely easy entry. Very enjoyable dives. At south monastery was hoping to come across leopard sharks to no avail. Did have a monster vermillion rockfish check me out. That thing had to be 20+ lbs, never new they could get that big. Lot's of different nudibranch seen in the 35-45fsw reef area of S Monastery. Only jellyfish seen were a few dead/dying and being munched on by blue rockfish. Given how calm monastery was I was surprised not to see other divers there.

By the way, I finally finished editing video from my Mac abee dives from a week ago, posted: YouTube

ken loomis
You've got your video tagged private, or at least the link takes you to something that is.

Lobos was a fail today. Was expecting bad conditions from the swell forecast, but gave it a shot anyway with the hope of some decent vis. Got nasty surge as expected, but no luck with vis. Only about 8' at Middle Reef, and between there and the ramp I was lucky if I could see my own hands in front of me.

Ben 70ft @ ~100fsw in lobos today

Monastery South was 30 to 50' vis deeper than 40', 55F down to 50'

50' vis? Oh man. Anyone looking for a last minute buddy for tomorrow? Looks like Sunday is the last day before the ocean gets rough again, so don't want to pass up chance of good vis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom