Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove at the Anchor Farm (80 Feet) and Kavika's Gardens (100-120 Feet). It was brown muck all the way down to around 70 feet. At the bottom, it was quite nice and probably had 25 feet of visibility with excellent clarity. Was extremely calm that deep, with no surge and the faintest of hint of current. The brown/green pea soup from the top obscured any sun light. Felt like a very late afternoon/dusk dive. Did not see a single brown jelly, which was quite nice.

If you were at greater depth, then conditions proved favorable. It looked like the shallows hinted that our summer conditions may just be around the corner.

about 45' vis @ lone metridium and hole in the wall, very calm

---------- Post added February 24th, 2014 at 05:59 PM ----------

30'+vis @ middle reef Lobos

Dove at North Monastery today. Vis was a little better than 50 above 50fsw. At 90 feet it was a little better than 40. Second dive vis dropped off a little. Water was calm and blue. Awesome dives. Tons of Blue Rockfish by canyon.

Had a couple of fun dives at Point Lobos this afternoon.

Our planned late start was even later because I'd left my dry suit undies in my dryer, d'oh! Fortunately my buddy had Aquarius' phone number in his phone & they set me up.

First dive: Hole In The Wall. 34 minutes, 61 feet, 50F. We dropped close to HITW, then returned a couple of channels in.

Second dive: Coal Chute Cove Cave. 43 minutes, 33 feet, 51F. Could see the bottom/surface clearly in 40feet of water so I'm calling it 30-to-40 feet viz. We surface swam to Coal Chute, dropped and headed into the cove. A harbor seal was circling us about 10 to 15 feet away and ultimately lead us to the cave. After checking out the cave we followed my compass not across the cove. D'oh. Wandered about for a while and surfaced way not where we should'a. We dropped back down and went the right direction 'til low on air. Lots of fish---I think they know when my camera batteries run out!

Some divers reported seeing a whale and dolphin in Bluefish earlier in the day. One came over to say hi, 'cause he dives in a Viking too, and said he shot video of the whale, but doesn't do YouTube, so I'm not sure whether we'll see it.

Dove Pt. Lobos last two days, first time in a number of years for me. Conditions were very good both days. Today Whalers Cove had 20' vis inside and down to 80' beyond the mouth was 40'ish vis. Like 3D diver we were approached by the guy who saw the whale as well. One group had some pretty swanky video equipment but not sure if this was the group that had the whale encounter. Either way, I'd love to see the footage. Some of my photos from the last two days, really makes one appreciate Pt. Lobos, incredible place....

18 ft swells tomorrow morning, and yet Point Lobos is still fully booked.

They close for divers when conditions warrant & will refund or transfer the registration fees.

Seas coming from, what...west by south west? both Lobos and breakwater may be well sheltered. I'm taking the weekend off to work on last week's video. Looking forward to reports later today and tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom