Monterey Dive Weather Watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL Chuck how many slides per day can you sort? If you take 1 roll per weekend how long will it take you to catch up? It would be nice to see some of your shots one of these days....

It's a four step process:

1. I get the slides returned uncut, unmounted. Step 1 is cut into strips 5 and put into
8 1/2 x 11 sheets. I call this sleeving. I can do about 20 rolls an hour now because
I recently acquired a Wess Plastics slide cutter that speeds it up. I'm all caught up on
this.

2. Go through all the slides and enter each into my computer "data base" (its really
just a flat file per roll, with a specific naming convention and format). I can do about
8-10 rolls an hour. I'm up to October, 2003 on this. I call this cataloging. As I go
through, I note the roll number and slide number of the ones that are good enough
to mount. Over the past couple of days, I've cataloged 46 rolls and there were 38
to mounted. Bending over to look at the slides bugs my back so four hours per day
is optimistic. I hope to get caught up on this by Christmas.

3. Print slide labels and mount the keepers. This takes about five minutes per slide.

4. Sort the keepers into some logical sequence for a show, record the roll.slide number
into file, and then run a program that builds a script to run my computer controlled
slide projectors.

I'm on the hook to do shows for Diving Singles and Amigos del Mar in March, so I'm
motivated (I work best against a deadline).

I probably shoot 50-70 rolls a year, I've gone has high as 140.

Chuck

I'm hoping for the weather to cooperate on the 28th and 29th, keeping my fingers crossed:)

WOW!!! 20' vis. I was sure that diving would not be good this weekend and stayed inside. Bummer....

Hey what do you guys think about getting a local dive together? For those of us that dive here all the time? I would love to get the Silver Prince to take us out and we could do one dive over in the Carmel area. Danny takes us to a spot called Eastern Pinnacles. Where he anchors it is 35' and you can dropped as much as 100' in a short swim for those that aren't experienced. Then we could all do a shallower dive or what not. I would love to meet some of you and I know we could fill a boat. We can schedule it for a Friday afternoon dive or Sat or Sun. Just a thought. Let me know.

I'd be interested, depending on cost and of course it'd need to be a relatively easy dive since I'm still getting my feet wet. :)

It would be pretty easy. Considering swell though. But inside the bay is usually pretty nice. I love to dive right outside the Aquarium. Lots of Harbor Seals and tons of life. My friend Watts got to play with an octupus for about 5 minutes the weekend before last. It was pretty amazing. It would just be nice to get to know and meet some local divers in the area other than the ones I already dive with. Most of them are rebreather dudes. My brother Russ and his roommate Voytek are way over my head and I barely get to dive with them. Along with their whole crew. It would be nice to get all of us on a boat together and get to know one another. Any other takers?

Good idea, you should start a new thread though, since you've strayed a bit off topic from last weekend's swell report. Pretty sure you'll get a better response that way.

Back
Top Bottom