monterey exposure choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one4snow

Registered
Reaction score
I am heading to point lobos at the end of february and I just ordered a 7mm bare fullsuit with attached hood and the 5mm shorty for a layer underneath when diving tahoe ( burrrr cold) and I want to know if the monterey divers out there think the fullsuit will be enough thermal protection. I tend to have a fairly high tolerence of cold . Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

A 7mm suit is fine for Monterey for most of the year. You might even want the 5mm underneath during winter if cold is an issue for you.

Scubaroo:
A 7mm suit is fine for Monterey for most of the year. You might even want the 5mm underneath during winter if cold is an issue for you.

I agree with Ben.

I dived with a 7mm Henderson Hyperstretch (with hooded vest) and was fine...Decided to get a drysuit (cause its really cool, of course) and my son now uses the Henderson.

Wear more rather than less, esp. in the winter...You'll notice the cold mostly on the second and succeeding dives.

You will be OK on your first dive but find a way to stay warm on your SI. This is where I sometimes have a problem in Monterey this time of year. Otherwise that second dive may not be so appealing as the first.

Brian Gilpin:
You will be OK on your first dive but find a way to stay warm on your SI. This is where I sometimes have a problem in Monterey this time of year. Otherwise that second dive may not be so appealing as the first.
any suggestions on keeping warm during surface interval. I usally use a small propane camping heater and warm clothes but any other advice would be great.

one4snow:
any suggestions on keeping warm during surface interval. I usally use a small propane camping heater and warm clothes but any other advice would be great.

Take a gallon or two of warm water with you in a container(cooler)...Pour it over your head and into your wet suit as you are putting on your hood and other gear for the second dive.

Pour the warm water into your Farmer John a few minute
after the first dive. Put your booties on the OUTSIDE of
your john to hold the water on your toes.

Bring a warm hat (you loose half your heat out your
head) and a windbreaker (to cut the evaporative cooling).

Or get a drysuit.

Bring a tarp. I noticed bringing a small tarp works well (and its cheap) because it acts like a windbreak and keeps the water from evaporating off of you cooling you down. A dark one will also absorb heat if theres any sun out.

thanks for all the advice everyone the suggestions will help alot. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom