Monterey pics 12-4-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We had two dives yesterday. First dive was Ballbuster. The highlight of the dive was a pair of Wolf eels. Originally, I thought it was only one, but when I processed my pictures I found his mate was in the hole next to him. Second dive was Steam Engine 3 on the shale. Sea nettles top to bottom, billions of them. Lots of different nudis and juvies.

Wolf Eel with mate
Diving12-4-101Ballbuster005croppsesm.jpg

Wolf Eel eating a crab (I thought it was a jelly when I saw it, but the picture tells the story.)
Diving12-4-101Ballbuster009croppsesm.jpg

Clown Dorid (Triopha Catalinae)
Diving12-4-102SteamEngine3044croppsesm.jpg

Juvenile Blue Rockfish
Diving12-4-102SteamEngine3028croppsesm.jpg

Cadlina Leuteomarginata (Yellow margin nudibranch)
Diving12-4-102SteamEngine3027croppsesm.jpg

Adolescent Blue rockfish with Peltodoris Nobilis (Sea Lemon)
Diving12-4-102SteamEngine3025croppsesm.jpg

Onchidoris Bilamellata orgy
Diving12-4-102SteamEngine3016croppsesm.jpg

Berthella
Diving12-4-102SteamEngine3007croppsesm.jpg

Juvenile Vermillion? rockfish
Diving12-4-102SteamEngine3005croppsesm.jpg

Sea Nettle with a crab hitchhiking under the bell
Diving12-4-102SteamEngine3049croppsesm.jpg

Nice set as usual! My favorite is the wolf eel eating a crab. I appreciate catching fish behavior; it's a lucky moment. How's it been in Monterey/Carmel? I was hoping the nettle invasion has subsided by now.

They've spread to Carmel. Last week we were going to do our second dive at Monolobo, but there were so many big nettles that we pulled the anchor and headed to Jawdropper instead. Our first dive yesterday, they were thick at Ballbuster, but you could get through them without wearing them. On the shale, they were top to bottom, with some all the way down to 70 feet, and billions of tiny ones literally covering the surface. The big ones were breaking the surface and laying there on the glassy water. No stings, but there was so much in the water that my face started stinging when the raindrops hit it and set off the nematocysts I had picked just getting in and out of the water.

Really like the soft lighting on the Sea Nettle. The spiral pose on the Cadlina is awesome, Nice set.

nice pix

Great pictures.

Wolf Eels are sure handsome creatures.

Thanks for your photos.

They've spread to Carmel. Last week we were going to do our second dive at Monolobo, but there were so many big nettles that we pulled the anchor and headed to Jawdropper instead. Our first dive yesterday, they were thick at Ballbuster, but you could get through them without wearing them. On the shale, they were top to bottom, with some all the way down to 70 feet, and billions of tiny ones literally covering the surface. The big ones were breaking the surface and laying there on the glassy water. No stings, but there was so much in the water that my face started stinging when the raindrops hit it and set off the nematocysts I had picked just getting in and out of the water.

Yikes! Nettles are photogenic but I hate those stinging little bastards.

Thanks FrankPro, Fuggler, Bogie, Deeper Thoughts and J1Rubin.

Wolf Eels are always a treat to see. The biggest one I have ever seen was way outside Still Water Cove in Sonoma County. We headed towards Ballbuster Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend but it was too windy, at least for my little boat (I think that was when we passed you in the harbor). The jelly with the crab is way cool! Well they are all nice, but jellies with hitch hikers are not common or at least noticeable.

FWIW we dove the North Coast last weekend and saw a total of three jellies in Gerstle Cove and non where we wound up diving at Still Wate Cove. Vis was pretty good too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom