Monterey Shootout this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm guessing nobody made a stink like me before.

Do you think that maybe there is a reason for that?

Was the contest fair to beginners as advertised? It's a simple yes or no question.

Were you a member that feels like they were treated unfairly or are you just trying to stir up ****? Were the rules fair? Yes I believe they were. Admittedly you might have a tiny edge (knowing and understanding settings and composition) if you are an accomplished photographer topside but put a camera in a divers hands and no matter who they are topside, they will be a beginner for the first 50 dives (I think that was a rule).

I participated as a beginner and I feel I was treated unfairly, sure. I think Chuck is agreeing with me that every beginner was treated inequitably. The statistics he has quoted certainly confirm what I have said. To say "50 dives topside, $500..." is really parsing the rules. There were 6 statements there in the rules and only 3 are being applied. It is supposed to be "in the spirit of rewarding new photographers" and it is patently obvious that a pro who wins pro contests every year and enters as a beginner with the most expensive camera in the competition and wins with 3 out of 3 entries has no business in the beginner category. He is a greedy and unethical guy. I get it. But he was allowed to do that at the expense and discouragement of 19 beginners.:shakehead:

I've stated my case and I'm sounding like a broken record. I want to hear Chuck answer the simple question. Chuck?

I participated as a beginner and I feel I was treated unfairly, sure.

Sorry to hear you lost the competition and believe you were treated unfairly. I certainly hope you learned something here (I'll make it clear it at the end if it is not already).

There were 6 statements there in the rules and only 3 are being applied.

IF this is fact then it should be easy enough to get someone to answer to it. I would be very surprised if this turns out to be true and not a fabrication (or misinterpretation on your part).

It is supposed to be "in the spirit of rewarding new photographers"

Yes, "new photographers" as defined within the entrance rules. Bryan (that was his name right?) fits those rules according to the people you questioned. IF Bryan lied or those people lied, then you have a legitimate beef.

........and it is patently obvious that a pro who wins pro contests every year.......

Again, those are topside and that is VERY different to shooting underwater. The only way this rule would fail was if this guy was a very accomplished diver (excellent buoyancy skills and good with task loading) as well as the accomplished photographer that he apparently was. However, all you will have done was point out a hole in the rules that can be corrected. I am sure the committee that defined the rules did not spend a year developing the most intricate of plots that would allow a buddy to win some small contest. If there is a flaw, then it can be corrected for next year if they see it the same way as you. Past is Past however.

.......and enters as a beginner......

Again, if he fits the qualifications as defined by the committee then he IS a beginner.

.......with the most expensive camera in the competition.......

You really know squat about photography if you believe having the most expensive camera guarantees a great shot every time. You could put me in the water with the most expensive camera and I could easily be outperformed on EVERY shot with someone with a cheap point and shoot if they know how to shoot. Look at what some divers in this forum can do with simple P&S cameras. Those shots would not improve necessarily with a more expensive camera.

.......and wins with 3 out of 3 entries has no business in the beginner category........

I could have sworn he too 1st, 2nd and Runner-up (so 3 out of 4) but maybe I misread someone's post. None the less, if he fits the criteria then he has business being in the beginner category.

.......He is a greedy and unethical guy.......

Wow, I would love to see how you went from photo contest to this. He entered into the category that best fit him by the wording of the rules. You are just a whiny loser that cannot accept that they lost.

.......But he was allowed to do that at the expense and discouragement of 19 beginners.:shakehead:

Expense? What expense? Did you have to pay to enter? If not then cut the dramatics. You are a diver. you got to dive. You paid for the dive not the pictures.

Discouragement? If anybody is discouraged it is because of the drivel you are spreading. Here is where YOU made the mistake. You did not read the rules before entering to see if they suited you. I have some photographs that I am very proud of and I would love to enter them into contests but I read the rules first. IF I do not like the rules then I do not enter. Perhaps you could try being constructive rather than destructive. Send a polite and well written letter to the arrangers of this contest and explain why you believe the entrance rules allow for a stacked deck. If they change the rules, then enter next year. If not, do not. Simple and without all this crying. As it stands, you are nothing more than a person that cannot handle losing.

Steve, you don't know what your talking about and yet you are attacking my motivation? At least read the whole thread. I posted the results, the rules, Bryan's awards, and yes we did have to pay. I've gone to such lengths to state my case and I agree it does comes off as dramatic. Chuck?

Steve, you don't know what your talking about and yet you are attacking my motivation? At least read the whole thread. I posted the results, the rules, Bryan's awards, and yes we did have to pay. I've gone to such lengths to state my case and I agree it does comes off as dramatic. Chuck?

OK, nowhere in this thread that I've seen does it say you had to pay but by looking at the OP's link it says $70 (to which I say big deal but that is just me). None of the awards that you posted were for underwater competitions. Yet the rules are clear. Seems like you need to read the whole thread. Nobody should care about the winner's awards because he still fit the rules as a Beginner. You lost. You are unhappy about that.....that much is obvious. You are, as a result claiming that there was a conspiracy afoot to ensure that this greedy guy named Bryan won the contest. Unbelievable....yet believable.

As I said, why not try to be constructive rather than destructive. Talk to them about why you believe their entrance criteria allows for a stacked deck. Don't attack them (which is all you are doing here). Your current path will change nothing other than make it clear you are a sore loser.

Bottom line is, the winner fits the definition therefore you are to blame for not checking the rules before you entered. Stand up against your oppressors next year and refuse to enter this obviously fixed competition. That'll show'em.

Steve, 32,899 posts; go outside! I have talked to people involved with the event separately and made constructive comments. I never claimed a conspiracy. Quit it with the noise. I didn't come to Acton Ontario and take 1st place in a reading contest, so take it easy. Chuck?

Back
Top Bottom